CHAPTER LXVI: Prior Restraint (Reynard)

REYNARD

REYNARD

FACTS BEGAN dropping like dominoes. First, Priscilla. Next, Brandon. And now, my best buddy Michelangelo. Maybe soon, Alaric Esteban.

Right before our basketball team captain went into his practice this afternoon, I requested to have a minute with him. He was reluctant at first, probably fearing that our conversation might arouse suspicion from some interested party. But he agreed for some reason, and asked me to come with him in the locker room.

"What is it this time, Rey?" he asked impatiently as he locked the door. No one else was inside except the two of us. If he was planning to do me harm, he might be able to do so. But I would put up a decent fight this time. "I gave you what you wanted. Ano pa ba'ng gusto mo?"

"I want more," I answered with a grin. He had given me a thin slice of cake. Now, I wanted the whole cake. My appetite for the truth could be insatiable sometimes. "Usually, I won't get too pushy with my sources especially if they're not comfortable to speak yet. But this story has gotten so big that I'm imploring you to get on the record about what you know."

He unlocked the door and swung it open. "We're done here, Rey. Kung gusto mong may magsalita on the record, maghanap ka ng ibang source. Ayaw kong madamay sa gulo lalo na ngayong may tournament kami."

"I found some sources, and they spoke to me about it," I revealed to him, hoping that their courage would convince him. "But just to be sure, I didn't bring the recordings of our conversations with me. Mahirap na, baka i-taser at nakawin mo ulit ang phone ko."

Dahan-dahan niyang isinira ulit ang pinto. Pakurap-kurap pa siya sa 'kin, halos nakanganga na nga. "T-Talaga? May kumausap na sa 'yo?"

I bobbed my head twice. "And I didn't harass or blackmail them to speak. They spoke to me voluntarily and agreed to be on the record. All for the sake of the truth."

"Then you don't need me anymore. You already have what you want."

"Not quite." My lips stretched into a smile. "Look, if we're gonna play chess, I won't just declare a check and call it a day. I want a checkmate. And you're the missing piece on the board to make that happen. So please?"

"I've already told you what I know!"

"But not on the record," I reminded him. "I can't tell you my reliable sources, but their statements are quite damning. The unraveling will start soon. Don't you want to be part of it?"

"You're asking me to stab my friend in the back," he lowered his voice. "You're asking me to betray that person."

"Does he see you as a friend?" I posed him that simple yet mind-boggling question. "Kasi kung oo, bakit ka niya uutusang gawin ang isang bagay na labag sa loob mo? Bakit ka niya ilalagay sa isang sitwasyon na ikapapahamak ng reputasyon mo? Isn't he the reason why you went into community service in the first place? Isn't he the reason why you suffered humiliation?"