ELECTION PREPARATION

CHAPTER -06
ELECTION PREPARATION

DVITI'S POV:

It's been a stormy few days since the incident where I slapped Samarth. While he seems to have returned to his usual happy and fun-loving self, there's an underlying tension, especially when it comes to interactions involving Lili. Samarth is actively avoiding situations where confrontation might arise, perhaps trying to steer clear of any further conflict.

Today, with both sections combined, I found myself sitting next to Juhi, my trusted benchmate whom I've confided in about everything that's been going on. As the class progresses and the teacher steps out, leaving Zain and me in charge as class monitors, I can't help but notice Samarth sitting with his hand resting on the cheek that I had slapped. It's a stark reminder of the events that occurred, and Juhi's chuckle confirms that she's aware of the tension too. I can't help but roll my eyes, feeling a mix of regret and frustration at the situation.

After class, instead of leaving like usual, Samarth stays behind to help with the lights and fans. It's a simple gesture, but it catches my attention, and I can't deny finding it adorable. Even the teachers praise him for his helpfulness, which adds to the warmth of the moment. However, what surprised me was when I learned that he stayed back because he wanted to speak with me.

The school election for the president was looming, but I had never considered participating. It just wasn't my thing. However, my Kannada teacher seemed adamant that I throw my hat in the ring, and soon enough, Shashikala ma'am, the headmistress, and even Pushpalata ma'am joined in the influence. Being convinced by not just one but several influential figures in the school, including my class teacher and the headmistress herself, left me feeling like I couldn't refuse.

Truth be told, I wasn't thrilled about the idea. The dynamics within my grade were complex, to say the least.

There seemed to be two main groups, and unfortunately, the girls didn't seem to have much fondness for me. I couldn't quite pinpoint the reason why, but it was evident nonetheless.

On one side of the divide were myself, Selina, Juhi, Lili, Vani, and a few other girls who were not only friendly but also proficient in Hindi. Our group was a mix of academically successful students, with good looks and plenty of appreciation from teachers. We were also known for our creativity and innovative ideas.
Meanwhile, on the other side, there were Liv, Nidhu, Aadhya, Samaya, Ritu, and others. Despite their attractiveness, there seemed to be a silent rivalry between our groups.

Our group often speculated that jealousy fueled this rivalry. After all, we had the grades, the looks, the teacher's admiration, and seemingly endless ideas, whereas their group seemed to rely solely on their appearance. Although it must be said, there were no slouches in the looks department either.

The guys in our grade often found themselves drawn to Lili or Juhi, with Liv being another popular choice. Rumors about Yuvan and Nidhu floated around, but I couldn't contrast any truth to them.

As the school election approached, I found myself caught in a whirlwind of influence and conflicting advice. When I mentioned the election to our tuition sir, he advised me against participating in such activities. Taking his words to heart, I decided to seek a way out by asking our cultural head, our Kannada ma'am, to cancel my name from the list of candidates. However, instead of yielding with my request, she instructed me to return to class.

It was then that the headmistress, along with Pushpatala Ma'am, intervened. They requested my presence and assured me that they would handle everything, even offering to speak to my parents on my behalf. In a reassuring tone, our English ma'am assured me that they had everything under control, and if needed, she would speak to my parents herself. This reassurance was echoed by the headmistress, who emphasized saying  that  "Chinta kyu karti ho hum hai na baat karne parents se tum aaram se raho aur participate karo bas" 
Feeling overwhelmed by the unexpected turn of events, I confided in Juhi, sharing the details of the situation.