Chapter Six- Home

"Not much," he admitted. "Other than kids being tested on, and it was shut down, no one really talked about it." Baxis frowned.

"I suppose that's for the best." he sighed, his eyes following the train as it pulled into the station. The doors opened, and the other students began filing into the seats. Baxis followed, but Logan lingered behind, unsure. Baxis turned to face him as he stepped up into the train, looking at him curiously. "Are you coming with ?" they asked, holding the door. Logan wasn't sure. He didn't really trust Baxis, he just got too many bad vibes from him, but his curiosity was stronger than his fear. "You want answers, don't you?" Baxis continued, solidifying Logan's decision. He stepped up after him, taking a seat next to the window. The doors closed, and the train reared forward.

Silence stretched between them for a while, as the first stop a few people left, Baxis remained seated.

"Where are we going?" Logan asked nervously at the second stop.

"The last stop is where I get off. Where we live." he said simply, staring out the window. Logan leaned over slightly to look at the side of his face.

"We?" he questioned, thinking how strange the whole situation was. He was going home with someone he barely knew, and he was afraid, but he didn't understand anything, and he loved to learn. He wanted to understand Baxis, to know why he was like that, to know why he brought up the experiment, why he was so secluded and strange.

"Yes." Baxis nodded curly, causing frustration to bubble within Logan. He was being so vague. The train announced that it was the last stop, and most people had already left the train. Baxis stood, and Logan copied his actions. He followed him out of the train onto the platform, and his fear increased tenfold. Even with the bright shine of the sun, the place still looked dark. There were no buildings nor houses that could be seen nearby, and no other people seemed to be around. He gulped, staying a slight distance away from Baxis. "My building is just down here, you can't miss it.'' Logan bit his tongue, refraining from asking questions until they got to this 'building' as he called it. They crossed a road, then down a passageway in between trees. In the distance he saw what Baxis had meant, and he had to resist his instinct to turn tail and run. It was an apartment complex, the crumbling walls looked as if the only thing holding it up were the vines and weeds. The windows had been boarded up, and there was a fence around the whole thing that created a sort of garden, making the building in the middle look more like a dog house. "Baxis. What the hell is this." Logan gasped, not taking a step closer. Baxis paused in a gap in the fence.

"The home for the laser kids." he said simply, then continued to walk through. Logan felt dread coursing through his body. He looked behind him, thinking he could just go back, get the train home and forget everything. But he came this far already, he decided to press on. He jogged up to Baxis until he was walking beside him. "Watch your step though, there may be a rattle snake here somewhere. Totally not my fault, of course." he chirped, his eyes focused ahead. Logan winced.

"That makes me think you had something to do with it..."

Baxis chuckled, waving his hand. "We rescued it from a circus thing, turns out rattlesnakes aren't great pets." Logan chuckled nervously, watching as Baxis walked toward a window.

"Uh, isn't the door that way?"

"We need to get in through the window, the door is broken. Also not my fault."

Logan frowned, still very sceptical of everything he was being told.