CHAPTER FIVE |:| I'M IN A HURRY

C H A P TE R  F I V E  |:|   I ' M   I N  A  H U R R Y

a month after and a year before  

April 1, 2011

I was sitting on the subway, reading my book quietly as I noticed the old woman beside me nodded her head lazily.

She was asleep.

I looked at her again as though she were crazy, everyone knows that when you're on a subway, sleeping is not an option. Pickpockets are common here; once you're not alert, your item is going to be on sale.

I shook my head and noticed that the person on the other side was looking at the old woman carefully. They looked around and I quickly turned my head down, looking at my book again. I counted to three then looked at the person again–I suspected they were trying to snatch the old woman's purse.

I bit my lip and my mind was racing. I was witnessing a crime.

I secretly nudged the old woman's knee, waking her up. She slowly came to her senses and noticed that her purse was halfway open. She then looked at me pointedly and I gave her a shocked look, good thing I saved her.

"You're trying to steal my purse!"

And that's how things went downhill.

∞ 🚔 ∞

"Look officer, you can even look at your CCTV camera to prove that I didn't do anything wrong," I stressed. But the officer took no notice of me as he pulled me out of the subway and told me to "not make things worse." I decided to just follow him quietly to not make things "worse" and I know that I shouldn't be afraid because I committed no sin.

Heck, I even saved that old woman's purse! This is what I get for expecting a return. Exactly the karma that I deserve. This better be a joke.

So here I am, after fifty-two minutes, at the police center, waiting for the time when I get to tell the officers "I told you so." But I know that's not the exact words I am going to say.

I give out a loud sigh, and look at my phone for the nth time. I was in a hurry and here I am, later than ever. My mom isn't going to like the news.

"Massie?"

Of course he would be here.

I know how cliché this might sound, but that voice belongs to someone I know. And it feels weird, how he said my name, like it is foreign and new.

I ignore the voice and act like I am not his Massie. Because I'm not anymore.

I can hear the footsteps getting louder as I tap my foot, wanting this to be over.

So I do what I do best. I pretend.

"Sorry, is there a problem?" I say with a British accent. I love watching British shows so I think I'm doing it pretty well.

"Massie, I-I know it's you. You h-have those freckles under your eyes and o-one dimple on your right cheek. And you have one ear pierced that w-we did together when‒"

Ok, abort mission. Plan B.

"The name is Rochelle, sorry to disappoint you. Now if you can leave me alone, it was not nice meeting you," I grab my bag, ready to just walk to the officers.

"I know how you a-always tuck your hair at your ears w-when you're nervous. You can't lie to me, s-stop hiding. What are you even hiding f-from?"

I ignore him. He is not worthy of my time. I walk faster, almost reaching the police counter, but it doesn't happen. A very strong iron grip stops me.

I try not to look back to the person as I push my hand back, but no, I am weaker.

Of course, I am. I am always weaker between the two of us. But for the first time, I want to let him know that I'm stronger now.

"I know it's you, Massie. I-I can smell your vanilla shampoo. S-stop ignoring me, please," says a very drunk Christian.

No, Massie. You promised yourself. You just need to say it out loud, to convince him. And to convince yourself, too.

"No," I stop shortly to take a deep breath, "I promised myself I would never turn out like you. I still plan to live my life happily. And that doesn't include you anymore. Now let me be and don't drag me down," I whisper the last few words before my lips tremble.

I try to calm down before adding, "You're drunk and you probably won't even remember this happened." I look back at him one last time and he looks more confused than ever. His blue eyes remind me of how he looked at me that way before. Those eyes that shone whenever we would laugh. And those same eyes that made me feel cold. The owner of those eyes, who lets me in and shuts me out so easily, like I am not someone important to him.

"Let. Me. Go," I say sternly.

So, he lets me go.

Again.

Physically and emotionally.

And all those feelings I caged before, fly out again and fill my chest. And it hurts. I wipe a tear and then I stop pretending.

"Lady from the subway, you're free to go!"

Before I know it, I've run away. Away from that place, away from the drunk monster.

Headline News

April 1, 2011 | 9:30am

A woman was found in a car crash after speeding on Highfield Street. She was immediately brought to the hospital. There's no update on her condition. On the other side of the accident, another woman was found lying on the ground as she was struck by the car and thrown into a tree.

People who witnessed the accident were mostly customers of nearby restaurants.

It has been hours after the accident, and there's still no update from the hospital. The parents of the driver arrived as soon as the ambulance entered the hospital.

There have been some rumors going around that the girl was busy with her phone while she was driving; that caused her accident. But there's no proof of what really happened. As of now, this case remains unsettled.

Meanwhile, the girl who was struck remained unknown. She appears to be between fifteen to sixteen years old.

Update: April 2, 2011 | 11:03am

It has been almost 26 hours after the mysterious incident of a car crash, and news has arrived from the hospital. The doctors gave a press conference regarding the accident that has been widely discussed on the internet ever since it happened yesterday.

The doctor said that the woman finally woke up from her sleep. She has a deep case of amnesia, which can be a result from her huge amount of blood loss on her brain. As for the other girl, she has been identified and her family is informed. 

A reminder to everyone, please respect the privacy of the hospital and the victim's family as well.

∞  

A U T H O R ' S   N O T E :

What just happened?

I just found out that this story is #773 in Short Story! And it may seem like nothing but it is a LOT to me <3 Thank you for everyone who's reading!

Feel free to comment below and click the star button for a vote! I appreciate each one of them! <3

Question of the Chapter:

1. What's your reaction of the train mash-up?

2. What's your thoughts on this chapter?

3. Massie met him again, uh oh. If you were Massie, what would you do?

:)

edited by flourish flourish :)