CHAPTER EIGHT |:| I'M WATCHING OUT FOR MYSELF

C H A P T E R  E I G H T |:|  I ' M   W A T C H I N G  O U T  F O R   M Y S E L F

a month after and a year before  

July 19, 2008

"Hey, watch out!"

I dodge as soon as I hear it. But too bad, they don't say whether to watch out on my left or right side. So on instinct, I just run to my right side, towards the school bus, and the ball almost hits me.

"Dude, not cool." Christian picks up the ball that nearly hit me, and looks at me for a long time.

Thud thud. Thud thud.

"What? Is there any damage?" I ask him, looking at my arms.

"No, no." He looks at me for a while and I can't help but wonder what's going on on his head.

"Then why are you looking at me as if I'm a math problem you're trying to solve," I can't help but snicker.

Christian slowly lets out a gorgeous smile and rolls his eyes, "It's just been so long since we properly talked. Plus, you still look pretty as always, but you already know that, so, how are you?"

I refrain from blushing at his words because I find it hard to reply to compliments. Instead, I ramble. "Well, I'm fine. Just busy with school stuff and house chores and‒"

"Anderson! Get your head in here and hand the ball back!" Christian and I both look at the person who shouted, obviously his basketball friend.

"Well, uh, you're clearly busy. I shall let him take you away, let's just talk some other time." I smile at him, making sure to hide my sadness.

"You sure?" he asks, and I nod.

No, but I don't want to be selfish.

"Now, go." I chuckle at him, removing the awkward silence. I point at the school bus and say, "I need to get home. Bye."

We both wave at each other and I give him one last smile before turning away and getting into the big yellow bus.

I look around and walk towards my usual spot which is in the middle row and on the window side. I wait patiently in the bus as I look at my best friend hanging out with his friends. Soon, the bus starts to move away from the school and I notice someone standing beside me.

"Mind if I sit here?" says a girl. She is pointing at the seat beside me that is vacant and I look longingly at it before nodding my head.

It used to be occupied.

"Of course! What are you doing on the bus, anyway?" I ask her politely.

"Oh you know, Dad forgot to pick me up from work and I told him that I could just ride the bus, so here I am! Did I mention that someone accidentally splashed my white sundress?" My eyes widen as she points at the big splash of barbie color on the end of her dress.

"What happened? How did it, I mean, what on Earth, where did this happen, I ‒" But she uses her hand to cover my mouth and I quickly close my lips.

"Maybe sometime, not here," she whispers at me. That's how we start whispering and giggling like the normal thirteen year olds that we are.

Streets and houses pass and we still haven't stopped talking. It feels nice to have a long chat with someone, it feels nice for someone to listen to me and for me to listen to someone's stories, too. It has been a long time.

"Wanna come over my house?" I suddenly ask her, but I quickly shut my mouth because I basically just asked the most ridiculous question in my entire life.