CHAPTER ELEVEN |:| NOVEMBER NIGHT

C H A P T E R   E L E V E N  |:|  N O V E M B E R  N I G H T

a month after and a year before  

November 9, 2005

"Did you bring all the snacks?"

"Check."

"Pillows?"

"Done."

"Blankets?"

"Yes."

"Television?"

"Finished."

"Cleaned your room?"

"Yes, mom."

"Good. We can start." I give Christian a wicked smile as I prance around his room, leaving my sleepover bag at the floor near his bed and make my way quickly inside the camp.

Christian's figure is a bit bigger than mine so he was having a bit trouble going inside the blanket fort and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"So, Captain Christian, what is our mission today?" My co-captain mode turns on as soon as we get into our position. Everything around us are pillows, snacks, blankets, everything in between.

"I don't know. You're my personal assistant, you should know about it." Christian's mode is already bossy and I can't help but punch his arms.

"It's co-captain not personal assistant. Get that into your thick head!" By this time, Christian is rubbing his left arm which is now red and murmuring 'ow'.

"Okay, big boy, now, let's get this thing started." I turn on the television and quickly turn it into Nickelodeon.

"Swiper no swiping! Swiper no swiping! Oh man. Dora the explor--!"

"Not that girly show again." Christian's voice fills the tiny spaced camp and I look at him pointedly.

"We missed the opening song! Ugh, this is so aggravating. We should start our camping way earlier because six o'clock is late." I grab the nearest plastic bag of food and open it.

"Hey! That's my favorite! Don't start eating it yet," Christian whines, and I look at him as I eat his favorite food. He is wearing a sleeveless t-shirt so when he tries to grab the Cheetos I am eating; I slap him hard on his shoulders.

"Well, I got it first. And, it was my birthday yesterday." I munch off the food and look straightly in the television as I watch with amusement on Dora travelling on a new adventure with a monkey and a talking bag and a talking map.

"It was?"

"Yes, dummy."

"Belated happy birthday, Mase," Christian says with a voice so genuine that I have to take my eyes off the television and look at the blue-eyed boy sitting beside me me. The lights around the room illuminates inside the camp and Christian looks anything but ugly right now, especially when he is looking at me in the eyes.

It was a very long silence between us but it was filled with Boots' voice.

I prevent myself from saying a mean comeback because his eyes are just so blue. "Thank you."

"Now share with me some of my Cheetos." I roll my eyes but give him some after I grab a whole lot of them and put them in my hand.

∞ 📺 ∞

"Yesterday was your birthday?" Miss Yanny looks like she just won the lottery.

"Uhm.. ah... well, y-yes," I look down at the floor, not liking too much attention from the adults because they tend to be confusing and demanding sometimes.