Chapter 13

The next couple of days were spent researching. In order to understand the clue on the necklace, you needed to understand your mom. She had never talked about her family, always saying that it wasn't important, that she had no family left. You understood now what she meant, her family wasn't in that reality.  

Dean had gone on a supply run, and Cas had vanished,  saying he would be back once we knew something. That left researching to you, Sam and Bobby.  It was slow going, but you had found some information.

"So this says my Mom was born and raised in the town of Sheridan, Wyoming. Maybe if we go there we can find more out." You say, stretching.  Your back was killing you from leaning over the laptop too long.

"That's  great idea. Why don't you kids go, I'll stay here and do some more research, see what else I can find."

Agreeing,  you waited for Dean, and told him what you had found. He gave Bobby the supplies, and grabbing your bags, you were on the road in ten. 

---------------------------

It wasn't that long of a drive, and you pulled into a motel before nightfall. Sam and Dean went to check in, and you left to go get food and beer at the store across the street. Going into the small store, you quickly grabbed your items heading up to pay. The lady at the cash register didn't look up, ringing up the items. When it was time to pay, she glanced at you and froze. Her eyes got big, and she said, "No way."

"Excuse me Ma'am,  is there a problem," You ask.

She regains her composure,  "Not a problem at all. But hey, do you happen to know a Mandy Dillon. Because you look exactly like her."

Surprised at first, you quickly answer, "Yeah she was my Mom."

The lady smiled, "Really? What's she up to these days? It's been forever since I've seen her, we went to school together."

"She died, awhile ago."

The lady actually looked like she could cry. "I'm sorry to hear that, but if you would like to see pictures or hear stories come visit me. My names Linda." She wrote down her address.  Thanking her and paying, you quickly walk back to the boys.

"What took so long? I was starting to get  worried, " Dean told you, taking the bags from you.

"I just met a friend of my Moms." You tell him, opening a bottle of beer and sitting down at the table.

"Really? What did she have to say?" Sam asked you, grabbing the salad you had bought him.

Taking the sandwich from Dean, you tell them. "She wants me to come visit her, and talk about my mom. She even has pictures."

"Well let's go." Dean replies, getting up from the couch.

"Hold your horses," You tell him. "She's still at work, won't get off for two more hours."

"Well what should we do?" He asks, sitting back down. You sit next to him, throwing your legs over his lap. He rests his hands on top of your legs, and you both relax for a moment, it felt nice. 

Sam smiles over at the two of you. "Sorry to interrupt your nap, but I did find out about your grandma. Where she lived, and where she is buried. Maybe we could go there, see what we can find."

Groaning, you get up. So much for relaxing for a little bit. You follow them out to the Impala, and sit in the back, as Sam directs Dean to the local cemetery. It takes about 10 minutes, and you pull up to the gates, looking over the tombstones. Sam guides you to the your grandmother's tombstone, which is located towards the back, underneath a couple of cottonwood trees. Glancing down at the stone, you see your grandma passed away when your Mom was 19. You had more in common with your Mom than you realized, both losing parents at a young age. However, there was no stone for your grandpa.

"Hey Sam, did you happen to find anything about my grandpa?" You ask, still looking around.

"Not really." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

Not finding any other clues, you walk back to the Impala, and make the short trip to where your Mom had grown up. Dean pulls the Impala in front of an old farm house. It was two stories, with peeling paint, and overgrown grass. Walking up the steps, you were careful to avoid the rotting planks, and watched as Dean almost fell through one. Looking for a doorbell, you give up, and knock on the door instead. Within seconds you hear footsteps, and a man's voice cussing. You quickly duck behind Dean, making him chuckle. The door opens, and an old man is standing there with a shotgun. He has a face full of wrinkles, and a cigar hanging out of his mouth. He was a very interesting looking man, but it was his eyes that shocked you, it was like looking into your own (your eye color) eyes.

"What the hell do you want? Can't you leave an old man alone?" He cusses at Dean and Sam, not noticing you hiding behind Dean.

"Excuse me sir, we just wanted to ask you some questions about a Mandy Dillon." Sam tries to explain, using a calm manner to deal with the old man.

"I don't want to talk about her. She's gone. Now leave me alone!" He yells, getting ready to shut the door.

You step around Dean, taking a chance. "Excuse me, but are you her Dad?" 

He turns back and looks at you, and you watch as anger turns to shock, his face turning white, as he takes in your features. 

"But...How...Who.." He stutters, while still staring at you.

Smiling gently at him, you ask, "Sir, can we come in and talk? Please?"

He nods his head, still looking at you in shock. You follow him through the cluttered house, noticing the mess throughout. It looked like he lived by himself, and didn't care much about housework. He guides you into a living room, and the three of you cram onto an old couch.

"Sir, thank you for giving us a chance," Dean starts to say, but stops when the man glares at him.

"I don't care what you think, boy. I'm just curious as to why this young girl looks so much like my Mandy. The spitting image of her."

You decide to spit it out. "Mandy was my Mom." 

The old man, your grandfather, sat there, with tears in his eyes.

"I always wondered what happened to my Mandy. Her Mom passed away, then she turned weird, leaving for days at a time, spending time with weird people. Then one day, she never came back, and I never knew what happened."

Deciding to give him some of the truth, you tell him about your Dad, and growing up. He smiled as you told him stories. Standing up, he walked over to a bookcase, pulling down a photo album. "Here, look through this. It's all of your Mom."

You start flipping through the pages, seeing pictures of your Mom for the first time. Her as a baby, then as a toddler, wearing a Christmas dress. Your Mom, dressed up for Halloween, then when she was in high school, dressed up for a dance. You didn't notice at first that you were crying, until Dean reached over and wiped them from your face.

"Thanks," You tell him, happy that he was there to share this special moment with you.

"So she passed away. I wonder why she never came back or called?" Your grandpa asked, still hurt over it.

"It was impossible for her. We lived in an area with no interaction with the world." You told him.

"Well I'm glad I got to meet you," He tells you.

Sam speaks up. "Excuse me sir, you said something about her changing, and hanging out with weird people. Can you tell us more?"

"Sure I guess," He said. "It started when she was 19, one morning she woke up, and it was like she was a brand new person. She ignored all her old friends, including her high school beau. Instead she stayed up in her room, or met with this guy, leaving with him for days at a time. I was too distraught over her Mother passing, I should have paid more attention."

"It's not your fault," You tell him. "Mom was always sad that she left you like that."

"Really?" Some of the guilt left his face.

Dean thought for a moment. "Do you remember the guys name?"

"Sure it was really weird, but I guess that fit him. He was really weird, had no social skills. His name was Zophiel."