Chapter Eight

Hi everyone I just wanted to say thank you for all the positive support I've received so far since I've returned to this site! I had been going through a lot for a long time and I've only just recently been feeling better. I really am sorry for having been gone for so long and I promise to work my hardest to finish the story rather than just leave it on hold forever.

Also I know I should have left messages letting you guys know that I was okay, but in all honesty I just didn't even have the energy to log in. I know it's just another excuse but I really don't want anyone to think I purposefully chose to not write, since there were many times when I would write something then delete it when I felt it wasn't good enough.

Once again I am truly sorry for my incredibly long absence.

Much love,

xx

+++++

Chapter Eight

"So come on just tell me how bad it hurts,

I can make it worse."

"Dirty World"- Emile Haynie

"Evie, I really don't think this is a good idea," Nate whispered as he blindly stumbled behind me, unused to the lack of light that filled the inside of our house. A giggle escaped my lips when I heard Nate bump into the wall, cursing under his breath as he gripped his elbow.

"Don't be such a wuss," I whispered back as mischief danced in my eyes. A grin crossed my expression when we entered the kitchen where a soft glow of light dimly lit the room.

"Danny isn't going to be happy about this," he muttered, shaking his head miserably as though he'd already been caught. I couldn't help but grin at his nervous expression, the way he glanced around the room as though Danny was going to emerge from the shadows and damn us to hell on the spot.

I turned away from Nate and moved towards the glass cabinet where my eyes zeroed down on the gloriously large bottle of Jack that sat the top of the shelf. My grin transformed into a smirk as I quietly lifted my body onto the counter, while Nate continued to whisper about how this was going to be the death of him—getting caught by Danny while he snuck into the liquor cabinet.

I rolled my eyes at his anxiety, unable to respond as I focused on picking the lock to the cabinet. It wasn't like I had never drank before, but since the deaths of our parents Danny had locked down on me, which included locking away the alcohol in our home. Which was fine, I suppose, for the first two years at least. But lately I had been relying more and more on the substance as Danny began relying more on me for jobs.

A victorious smirk spread across my lips when I managed to open the cabinet in seconds, earning a surprised gasp from Nate, who had now managed to calm himself down a bit. I swiftly grabbed the bottle and hurriedly climbed down from the shelf, eager to get that first sip of whiskey down so that I could finally release all the tension that had been building up over the week.

The gang was in a state of emergency, and Danny was now taking his anger out on me by constantly yelling at me, especially during jobs, which caused a build up of stress within me.

Hopping down from the counter, I gave Nate a raised look while he sheepishly smiled, his cheeks reddening. "I'm sorry I doubted you."

I shrugged it off, giving him another grin as I pried off the top, my stomach tingling with nerves as the strong smell filled my nose. I was young, only fifteen and still rather naïve as some people would say. Nate was only three years older; however that was more than enough to make my ever so protective older brother bothered by our friendship, as Nate had always been Danny's right hand man along with Will.