Chapter Eleven

Please read my author's note at the end of the chapter!

+++++

Chapter Eleven

"The law ain't never been a friend of mine,

I would kill again to keep from doing time,

You should never ever trust my kind"

— Royal Deluxe "I'm a Wanted Man"

Sebastian King was mad and Elizabeth James did not have to look up at him to know that.

She had been finishing her rounds for the morning when she heard an unmistakable hush fall upon the floor, one that was usually thunderous in volume when it came to the hustle and bustle of the medical staff. Her spine instinctively stiffened and she felt her pulse quicken, nausea rolling through her as she registered that this was her reaction to his mere presence.

"I need to speak with you." His voice was low but firm. He stood less than a foot away from her, and his frame towered over her smaller one.

Elizabeth kept her eyes focused on the paperwork that weighed down her arms, reminding her of the hours of work that lay ahead of her. She was busy enough without Sebastian King breathing down her neck; but there he was, unmoving, and silently demanding her attention. She could not ignore him.

"Mr. King, I'm afraid I still have a few more patients to see before I have even a ten minute break," her voice came out surprisingly even despite the slight tremor in her hands as she adjusted the folders in her arms.

Elizabeth finally forced herself to look at him, holding her breath as she faced the force of his glare. His jaw was clenched and she could practically feel the tension that radiated between them.

"Dr. James," Sebastian bit out, "I don't want to hurt you."

Her stomach twisted and a bitter taste filled her mouth. His implied message left her little room to argue.

"Amanda," Elizabeth called out to the medical student who had been working with her for a few months, "do you think you could finish my rounds this morning? I only had a few more patients left, and none of them require anything other than a vital check."

Amanda had been standing a few feet away, watching the conversation cautiously. At the sound of her name, she adjusted her glasses and straightened her posture. Elizabeth watched in relief as she walked over to her and took the paperwork from her arms.

"Absolutely, Dr. James." She gave her a smile and snuck a glance at Sebastian before she walked away; eager to take on the task she had been assigned.

"Shall we?" Sebastian asked, his tone cold and impatient.

Before she could utter a response, she felt his hand wrap around her arm. The next thing she knew, she was being dragged through the hospital doors, unable to slow down or stop. Her lips were parted in shock, and her heart was pounding in her ears as Sebastian roughly opened the passenger door of a large, black SUV and gestured for her to get inside.

"I don't have all day," Sebastian snapped, "And like I said before, we need to talk."

+++++

It had been four days since she had been taken.

Evie felt her legs quivering underneath her weight, but she refused to budge. Perspiration had formed on her forehead, and she felt drops of sweat trail down her back as she stood on her bed, her arms hanging limply by her sides.