Chapter Ten

I have no excuse for the wait on this chapter. I'd like to thank all of you who did not give up on me, even when I gave up on this, and all of you. 

Love you all more than you know, xx.

+++++

Chapter Ten

"You are calm and reposed

Let your beauty unfold

Pale white, like the skin stretched over your bones

Spring keeps you ever close

You are second-hand smoke

You are so fragile and thin, standing trial for your sins

Holding on to yourself the best you can"

— Brand New "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot

"Are you hungry? Would you like anything to drink? Anything for the pain, something to ease the discomfort?"

His tone was taunting, and his eyes still shone with cruel humor as he took in my disheveled appearance. I kept my lips pressed shut, my eyes conveying my hatred towards him as I sent him a glare that could make a grown man cry.

My wrists remained bound behind my back, retied after his men had roughly thrown me into a new chair, one that had been placed in front of a simple wooden, dining table. In fact, the entire room itself looked like it had come from a home decorating magazine.

"I'll take that as a no," Nick remarked, sending a wide smile my way. My insides churned in disgust as I took in his expression, revulsion pooling in the pit of my stomach as he leaned against the table, his body inching closer to my own.

"I heard you were giving Kate a tough time, but I must admit, I never expected to see you beating her into a bloody pulp." His tone was pressing, a sign that he was looking for a reaction from me. He wanted me to feel guilty, remorseful even for my attack against Kate.

Good try.

I didn't feel bad about my actions, in fact I was still furious. If I were placed back into that room with her, I wouldn't hesitate to go off on her again. Not only did she betray me, but also she left Mason for the dead.

Mason.

I couldn't bear to think of him. I couldn't let myself dwell on the idea that he was most likely dead, having suffered from the extreme blood loss.

He couldn't be dead.

But there had been so much blood. Too much blood. I couldn't imagine how he could have survived an attack as life threatening as that. And to think that it had been at the hands of the girl he had cared deeply for.

"Stop thinking about him and focus on yourself. How are you going to get out of this?"

My stomach gave another jolt as my father's voice entered my head, harshly reminding me of the situation I was in. I frowned, the physical and mental torment growing nearly unbearable as I allowed the floodgates to open up and fill me with agony.

"Something on your mind?" Nick asked, his eyes narrowing at me.

When I didn't respond, his demeanor slipped and his expression darkened. He let out a frustrated sigh before pulling himself off the desk. I watched as he slowly made his way around the table and over to where I sat, his eyes trained firmly on me as he did so. I felt my breath falter when he stopped directly behind me and crouched down, so that his head hung by mine.