20. rightful concern and boner police

(SO SOME OF YOU GUYS WANNA FIGHT IN THE COMMENTS

IMA ASK YOU TO FIND YOUR CHILL BECAUSE YOU GUYS ARE MAKING MY VERY POSITIVE VIBES DEFLATE, okay?

Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd)

| 20. | rightful concern and boner police.

Dragging Oliver from his truck and into my house seemed like a good plan in a sense but when I realized that I was a thin girl with little to no upper body strength, I doubted my ability.

"Jan meet Oliver. Oliver, this is my best friend, Jan," I'd growled out after I'd gotten the brick-like boy past the threshold. He stumbled a bit, almost falling but catching himself with his good foot.

Of course I hadn't noticed the silence nor did I actually care about what made him nearly fall but as I looked up at him, his eyes were trained on Jan in disbelief. Trying to avoid looking over at my best friends in fear I'd lose my balance, curiosity won the best of me and I scanned my friends' faces.

Katalina was rushing to the kitchen, grabbing some paper towels as Sidney cringed at the dried blood. Of course, Kat being the mother-like figure in our group when it got serious, brought the paper towels over to Oliver, tilting his head back.

And then I saw the look January was giving Oliver, his eyes wide and pretty pink lips parted, eyebrows furrowed. Of course, I dismissed it but when Jan excused himself to the guest bathroom and Sid looked after him in concern, I knew there was a secret.

There seemed to be so many damn secrets lately.

"Dammit, Olive..." Sidney cursed out the nickname she'd given him when Kat had asked her to bring more towels and she took a detour as Kat pressed the bloodied tissues to his face, not knowing what the fuck she was doing, "You're beaten up pretty bad."

"I've had worse," he shrugged, smiling slightly, his face screwing up in pain when he'd done so. He mumbled a quick 'thank you', Kat pulling away to go wash her hands and Sidney assisting me in bringing Oliver to mine and Jackson's shared bathroom.

"That's a lot of blood..." She murmured, catching sight of his matted hair, grimace settling on his face.

And his next words sent shivers down my spine, "It's not mine."

He'd beaten someone, he'd beaten them so they were losing blood, and he had the blood all over himself, "Oh," Sid had muttered quite uncomfortably, never being one to like talking about things like this.

He seemed so calm about it, like that sort of thing happened all the time and I briefly did worry about his sanity. I couldn't imagine nearly killing people an not feeling remorse for more than a second. I couldn't imagine blacking out and not knowing what you were doing or who you were fighting and frankly, that part of Oliver shook me to the core.

I'd tried to be the type of person who didn't judge and wasn't afraid of anything and for a while I thought I was... But I still found myself questioning whether or not I lied to Oliver.

Maybe I was a little afraid of what he was capable of.

"Did you blackout?" I'd found myself asking after we'd stood in silence in front of the sink. Sidney had excused herself and I could hear her laughing an Kat and her conversing as they watched tv.

"Yeah. This one was really bad too, I uh..." Oliver had trailed off, and I wasn't expecting him to grip my hips, lifting me effortlessly and sitting me on the counter. He'd stood in between my legs, not speaking until he'd pulled out the bandages, alcohol, and cotton balls that he'd memorized the placement of. And as he was shuffling through the medicine in the bottom, he spoke, "I can't really remember anything except that it was behind a grocery store and Elliot drove us home."