29. meetings and greetings

(ONE OF YOU LITTLE BABES MADE ME A COVER)

Recap: Emerson and Oliver are on good terms. When we'd last seen our beloveds, they were mending the ties of their fractured relationship and Oliver had confessed a big part of his past to the protagonist. Making it his mission to make her fall in love, all was well. January was well, everything was looking up.
Or was it?

|29.| meetings and greetings

"Hey..." It was half-past four when I'd went over Oliver's house a few days later. He'd been suspended for two weeks due to the fight with Ceaser and I'd been the one responsible for getting his work to him due to the fact that everyone thought we were more or less a thing.

And honestly, I hadn't blamed them but things were getting weird. I missed having Oliver around and I missed having lunch with him, the space beside me feeling a bit empty but that wasn't what bothered me. What bothered me was the fact that we were dangling between this stage of not-dating despite how many times we'd kissed and he told me he loved me.

I didn't want the big old confession in front of everyone or a big ask but I wanted to know what we were. I wanted to be able to consider him my boyfriend and not have to look over at him for reassurance. We'd been through a lot, I made mistakes and maybe that was the reason we weren't official but I chose not to dwell on it.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I'd inquired, the door being swung open mid-knock and my eyes centered on his put together appearance and unfocused look. I'd scanned the boy in front of me, bottom lip pulled into his mouth and hair done perfectly, sinful eyes glancing down at me every so often and I had to stop myself from admiring him. Oliver seemed distracted as he stepped back into the house and I followed without question. I watched him throw a Nike hoodie over his head and stuff his phone in his pocket.

There was an urgency to everything he did even as he spoke.

"I just, uh, I have plans today."

Plans. Maybe it wouldn't have sounded so suspicious if he wasn't so fidgety. "Plans?"

Shuffling over, his mind was distracted as he placed a small kiss on my forehead as if it were second nature and I couldn't help but smile at the feeling of his warm lips on me, "Yeah..."

"You okay?" I'd wondered aloud, gripping his shoulders to keep him in front of me. He bit his lip anxiously, running a hand over his jaw as he tried not to let his nerves get the best of him. Running my hands up his shoulders and to the sides of his neck, I gently brushed my thumb over his bottom lip. He pecked my thumb, warmth racing through me and I swear, my heart skipped a beat.

"It's nothing."

He'd tried to brush it off which I would've let go of his eyes weren't holding mine for so long, almost as if he wanted me to pester him. Oliver didn't like keeping things held from me as he felt like it were the reason I wasn't reciprocation his feelings as quickly as he'd developed them which honestly, wasn't all that wrong. I liked this new open version of Oliver, as if he trusted me to tell me everything and nowadays, he'd never missed a chance to give me new information about himself.

So sensing that, I'd took his hand in mine and urged him with a soft smile, attempting to tone done my normally blunt and brutal approach and he responded accordingly, "It's something."

He smiled and I knew that I was doing something right. There was no relationship without sacrifice and where he'd opened himself up, I tried to be less abrasive than I normally was. Oliver shrugged, "I just... I have a visit with my parole officer."