22. drooling and phone conversations

Let's try an get this book to 1M reads, yeah?

( I DON'T EVEN HAVE A SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER? I ALWAYS HAVE A SONG, WTF?)

| 22. | drooling and phone conversations

Friday was coming extremely slow.

Like, you know that turtle trying to cross a highway in the middle of the day? Friday was moving slower than that turtle.

It was Tuesday afternoon and after spending the whole night talking to Oliver, he wasn't at school that day.

That on top of the fact that Friday was three days away and I hadn't seen Oliver since the Saturday before due to him being busy on Sunday and me being out for a doctor's appointment on Monday. To say I missed his face was an understatement.

Not to mention the worry; God I was worried. He hadn't been out of school like this since he'd gotten back -excluding the suspension- and I'd seen him show up with he nastiest of bruises and the sickest of cuts. He was trying to catch up with his school work so it could get him off parole quicker (something about being a changed adolescent with eyes for his future would appeal to the higher up).

"Babe, you okay?" January had asked as he sat beside me- it was his second day back and so far all he'd seen was my anxiousness an Sid's nervousness. We hadn't seen much of Kat, Phoenix pulling her away with some excuse as soon as he'd seen Jan's -back to- dyed blonde hair. January had tried to brush it off when is caught notice, Sid sending him a worried look, eyes wide as saucers and lips parted to suck in a breath.

But he'd simply excused the matter and became more interested with the case of his phone.

"I'm fine," I shook my head, Oliver's face coming into mind as I tried to push that away. Focusing on Jan, I answered his question, smile forced onto my face.

Sid rolled her eyes at that, pushing her rice and grilled chicken around with a plastic spork. She'd been so invested in Luca, she couldn't even enjoy her favorite food. "She's worried about Oliver."

Glaring at my best friend, I stole some of Mama Grayson's best dish, pushing some into my mouth, the taste mixing in with the piece of roti I'd stolen from her Tupperware bowl, "and you're lovestruck over Luca."

"Touché."

Grinning at my victory, I looked over to January, his eyes latched onto a specific thing. Turning, I tried to gauge what exactly he was staring at but it became impossible with all the movement in the cafeteria, "he's so fucking-ugh."

"Who?" Sid had questioned as she took a gulp of water, her eyebrows raised at Jan who looked like he'd combust with frustration anytime soon.

"Uh-" he paused, averting our gazes as he bit into his meatball sub, hands getting dirty with the sauce but he hadn't cared. Wiping his mouth, he chewed his food, eyes focusing on how we were calculating his every move, trying to dissect his thoughts.

"Y-you don't know him," he'd finally stated, getting sick of us staring and silently ridiculing. I could tell he was lying from the slight stutter but is pretended I hadn't noticed. January wasn't comfortable telling us yet and even though I didn't agree, I'd let it slide just this once.

It was awkwardly quiet but with a bite of her lip and her light brown eyes catching onto something behind me, Sid spoke, eyes wide, "The World History sub is so hot- have you seen him? I mean, he can declare World War III on this puss-"