Prologue

Inspired by 'The Vow.' Well, not really... The movie hasn't even been released yet. I got it off the trailer? So The Vow's Trailer?

*NOT EDITED* None of the chapters would be edited until the book is completed. (;

Prologue

It had been six months since the crash. Six months of absolute guilt ate me up. I couldn’t handle it… I needed her in my life. The doctors have given up hope, but I never gave up.

Every day, I’d go to the nursing home and read to her, one of her favorite romance novels. I’d talk to her about things that were going on, as if she was listening and responding to me. Some news about a friend’s wedding or one of her girl friends being pregnant. I had never given up hope of her waking up one day. I loved her way too much.

My phone started ringing. I picked it up and held my breath as I saw the caller I.D.

“Mr. Carmichael, this is Anne.” Anne was her personal nurse. She was in her late forty’s and was one of the people who understood my love for her. She had never questioned me about my decision.

“Yes? Did something happen?” I asked, anxious.

“Your wife… She’s awake,” She said overjoyed. My heart started beating fast again. My dear Leila has awoken! “But there’s something wrong…” Her voice trailed.

“What is it?” The doctors said there were no signs of complications at all! What is going on?!

“I think it is best that you check for yourself, dearie.” She used her motherly tone. “I’ve got to go now.”

“Thank you, Anne.”

“You’re welcome.”

After hanging up, I jumped for joy and fist pumped the air. The love of my life was awake! I quickly got my keys and headed down the floral shop. I picked out the best bouquet of white roses and headed for the nursing home. I signed myself in and walked to her room.

Walking in, I saw her parents, who were standing there and happily chatting with her. Her body was bit paler and she has lost some weight. All in all, she still looked perfect in my eyes. Her mother saw me and stiffened, so did her father. I ignored them and made my way to her bed side.

I handed her the flowers, only to have it thrown back at me. Her pale arms crossed over her chest as she gave me a deadly glare.

“Who the hell do you think you are, barging in here with those? That will never make up for what you’ve done to me!” She screamed at me. I flinched; her words cut me like a knife.

“Sweetheart, I’m sorry about that argument we had. It’s my entire fault that you’re here. I’m really sorry. I love you so mu-” I couldn’t finish as her hand connected with my cheek.

“The nerve of you to come here and try playing that lovey dovey stuff with me again. I know your tricks, Carmichael. I still haven’t forgiven you about the whole Louis thing. Get that through your head!” She said with venom in her voice. Tears welled up in my eyes. I blinked them away as I felt my throat constrict. “What? Cat’s got tongue? Aren’t you going to come up with some comeback? No? Well I’ll be!” She smirked victoriously.

“Leila, darling… Why are you saying this to me? I thought you’d forgiven me already? Baby, I’m really sorry. Please stop playing around. I’m really worried about you. I love you so much and I know you love me too.” I begged as the traitor tears fell from my eyes.

“Mason, just leave. I don’t want to see that damn face of yours ever again! LEAVE!” She shouted as tears fell from her eyes. Just as I was about to reach for the doorknob, she called out to me. “Oh and Mason? Don’t you ever try pulling that stupid trick on me again, got it? I had never and will never like you. I hate you so much, that seeing you makes my blood boil. What kind of drugs are you taking, to make you think that I’d actually love you?  Only a blind fool would actually fall for you. You are nothing to me. Now go!” she spat out the word ‘love.’

I hung my head low as her father came after me. “Mason!” He called.

“She really hates me, does she?” I asked as I wiped away my tears.

“No, she loves you. The doctors diagnosed her with post-traumatic amnesia. It was caused by the car accident. For some reason, she only remembers the first sixteen years of her life. The doctors found it very odd. The usual patients wouldn’t remember the painful memories, but in her case, she remembers only the painful memories. I’m sorry son,” His father gave me a pat on the shoulder.

She lost her memories of me… The last eight years of her life! I couldn't believe it!

“I’ve got to make her fall for me again.” I said aloud.

“You do remember how stubborn she was, right? How long it took for her to forgive you?” He raised his brows and smiled warmly.

“I know. Your daughter is really stubborn, but that’s one of the things I love about her. If I got her to forgive me and fall for me the last time, why can’t I do the same this time? This time, I will be more careful with her. I can’t live a life without your daughter in it, sir.” I looked him in the eyes and he grinned.

He engulfed me into a hug and sighed, “That’s dad for you, son. Good luck with that. Just go gentle on her and if you need any help, turn to me.” He pulled out of the hug and went back into Leila’s room.

I didn’t make it through six whole months of waiting, just to give up on her now. I am going to make you love me again, Leila Jane McCormick. 

----------------------END OF PROLOGUE--------------------------------------

CONTINUE OR NO?