Chapter 39: Pleasant Surprise

Leila and Mason finally caught up and tried to make up for those bittersweet months. Leila also moved in with Mason, while Mary Joy moved in with Abigail.

Mason would occasionally show Leila some pictures and they’d watch their wedding video once in a while. Slowly, her memory was coming back. Abigail and Leila have also patched some things up. They’d go on double dates together.

It has been exactly five months since she has reconciled with Mason. Leila stood in front of her kitchen as she clutched onto her cardigan a bit tighter. Leila looked at her ring finger… It seemed so different without her wedding ring. She had misplaced it somewhere in a sandy beach, while she was on a date with Mason. At first, Mason shrugged it off and promised to buy her another ring. Guilt ate her up when Mary Joy told her about the ring. It has been his mother’s ring!

Since then, Mason seemed to distance himself away from her. She constantly apologized to him, only to have him shrug her off every time. Mason left for work early, come to think of it; he has been doing it for the past two months. He’d leave for work early and come home late at night. Leila shrugged off any negative suspicions in her head. The door bell rang, breaking her away from those nasty thoughts.

“Hey!” Mary Joy chirped.

“What are you doing here?” Leila grumbled.

“Good afternoon to you too, Mrs. Grumpy pants,” Abigail teased as they both made themselves feel at home. Leila looked at Abigail and Mary Joy. Their faces were covered in makeup and they were in beautiful, silky blue dresses. They both looked like they just came out of some magazines. It wasn’t so surprising, considering they were models.

“Sorry. It’s just… For the past two months, I haven’t been able to spend much time with Mason. He’s always busy,” Leila looked at her hands sadly.

“Cheer up girl! We’re going to a ball today. It’s a big surprise, so you have to be blind folded,” Abigail reached into her purse and pulled out a black blindfold.

“That’s why you’re both all dolled up. I’m not really up for this right now,” Leila pouted.

“Well too bad. Mason specifically ordered us to fix you up for the ball tonight,” Abigail stood up and covered her eyes with the blindfold.

“You got the dress?” Abigail asked Mary Joy.

“Of course,” Mary Joy exclaimed.

“Let’s get started!” Abigail dragged Leila up into the master bedroom. She sat Leila down in front of the vanity and started to do wonders with her hair. Many curling and pinning later, she finally finished. “Now it’s time for the dress!”

“What?”

“The dress, silly! It’s a ball, so you need to get into the dress we picked out for you. Now strip,” Abigail said as if it was one of the most natural things in the world.

“What?” Leila asked again, not liking where it was going.

“S.T.R.I.P. Strip,” Abigail commanded again.

“No,” Leila crossed her arms over her chest like a little child.

“Don’t make me call Mason over and do it for you!” Abigail threatened.

“I’d actually love that,” Leila smirked at her wickedly. To that, Mary Joy groaned from behind.

“Please, keep those thoughts to yourself,” she pleaded.