Chapter 15: Walls Come Down

Freshman Year

Leila’s freshman year was great. She had Mary Joy for most of her classes. Though the pranks kept on coming at her, Mary Joy made them all bearable. Louis would have small talks with Leila, but it all ends there. He would watch the upperclassmen make fun of her, not bothering to stand up for his sister.

Mary Joy moved because her mother married Mr. Carmichael. She was happy for her mother, but she wasn’t ecstatic about getting a step brother. Leila instantly became her best friend. Mason has made it his life’s mission to make her best friend miserable. For that, she hated her step brother.

The school year was coming to an end as the students prepared themselves for hell. The teachers gave many exams, quizzes, reports and even essays. Leila tried her best to keep up with all of the school work.

The whole freshman class buzzed about the new English teacher. They heard that she was far stricter than their last one, who by the way, moved on to become a college professor. It was very stupid to leave a week before the school year ended.

Leila entered the class and was met by a woman who looked too young to become a teacher. Her blond hair was tied in a high ponytail. She wore a long skirt, matching it with short sleeve polo. Leila sat down and waited for the students to arrive.

“Good morning class,” The teacher stood up, silencing the whole classroom. “My name is Ms. Coleman and I will be your teacher for the rest of the school year. You’ve probably heard about how much of a witch I am, but I promise you that I’m not. I will only assign you all one more assignment. That is a two paged essay.”

The students all groaned in unison. The teacher cleared her throat and continued, “Fine, if you want more work then-“

A couple of disapprovals erupted all over the classroom. The teacher chuckled, “That’s what I thought. I will write the title of the essay on the board. I want it to be a size 12 font, Times New Roman and double spaced. If it’s hand written, please make your hand writing readable. If not, it’ll just go to the trashcan and you’d get a fat zero for the assignment.” The teacher turned and started to write on the board.

In a perfect cursive handwriting, she wrote:

What do you miss most about your life?’

“Go get started. This is a very easy assignment, which is why it’s due tomorrow.” The teacher sat back down on her chair.

Leila tapped her pencil on her desk. She had no idea what to talk about! She looked over at Mary Joy and found her leaning down on her desk and focusing on whatever she’s writing. Mary Joy had always been smarter than her. Leila zoned out, trying to not too think too hard about the assignment.

The bell rang, dismissing them all. Leila looked over Mary Joy.

“So, what are you writing about?” Mary Joy grinned widely.

“I don’t know yet. How about you?” They both walked towards the parking lot.

“I’m going to write about my dad…” Mary Joy’s sparkly eyes dulled down. “Anyways, there’s my mom. I’ll see you tomorrow!” Mary Joy gave her a quick hug and ran towards her mom’s Sedan.

Mary Joy barely talked about her real father. All Leila knows about him is that Mary Joy looks a lot like him. He was a very smart man too, a very successful lawyer.

Leila searched the parking lot and finally found Louis and her mom. Once she got home, Leila dropped her bag onto her bed and pulled out her laptop. She needed to finish this assignment as soon as she can.