Ellis: Summertime In Paris (edited)

Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Summertime In Paris

Ellis

The comb's blades were short but sharp, raking through my charcoal mess on my head to look presentable for another one of our upper-class soirees. I pressed my hands down on the polka dot skirt to sniff out any wrinkles. The annoyance and effort of having to put on a pretty dress and attend one of these parties overwhelmed with pretension and snobby people were rubbing off on me; what used to be excitement and delight have wilted into a tightly wound-up ball of irritation.

It's been a week since I came back from China and a week since Paige and my father have returned for their vacationing in Majorca, who returned not only with themselves but news of their spontaneous engagement- much to my misfortune- so they've been setting it as a personal goal to host as many parties as possible to celebrate and shove their blatant and misguided happiness in everybody's faces. I sound like I might be bitter and upset because my mother was booted out of the picture but that wasn't the case.

My parents didn't work out- that I could accept. My mother clarified that she met somebody else and by the obvious displays of affection, my father had clearly moved on too. Fine, okay. People changed and realised that they didn't want each other anymore. But honestly, couldn't my father have picked a better rebound than a scant much younger gold-digging spoiled brat?

I sighed, rubbing the scented cherry oil and clasped a diamond necklace I scrounged out from the accessories box. I was brainstorming ways to convince my father not to marry her but every time I came out with a creative excuse, maybe plant something on Paige to make it appear as if she was cheating, but I wound up with an unease in my trepidation. My father looked happy with Paige. And I would just have to accept that.

My phone beeped and I lifted it from the shelf to check who messaged me. Calista.

Yo Bitch! Just came back from LA with the fam. How was China with Jem? ;)

I rolled my eyes. I could almost picture the wolf smile in her text message as she sent it. But her text opened a box of feelings and memories I wasn't even prepared to deal with.

After our kiss, Jem broke us apart- he started and ended it. I became acutely aware of the distances and that holy shit, our mouths just made out and my hand was gripping his neck, nails biting into his sinewy flesh, lips quivering with his absence and him staring up at me with those hazel eyes I could feel burning through me in the raised hairs on the back of my neck. The heat of our slowing pulses enveloped and simmered over us. I saw colours from the floor and colours from the spotlight above but everything was too vivid like my senses were on overdrive. Girls' dresses blur in a shimmer of metallic sequins and towering high heels, stinging my retinas, and the boys' hairs were too loud, competing for attention with music.

Then there was a twisting pull in my stomach and bile rising, the contents of my lunch threatening to be a pool of vomit on the floor. It was the penance for drinking on an empty stomach.