Jem: Are We In The Clear Yet?

Chapter 50

Chapter 50

Are We In The Clear Yet?

Jem

"I love you," Ellis cupped my cheeks with the softness of her hands, resting them on the side of my head, stroking me softly as I nestled myself onto her lap, drifting into this trippy daze of smoke. Her eyes were stunning and wide, and I want to kiss every atom in her body. She slowly lowered herself and she pressed her persimmon lips against my slightly opened ones, and I forget to breathe, momentarily. 

Maybe the kiss was light and questionable, with us sitting in such a position- her head hovering over mine in an uncomfortable position and our lips in an upside-down manner, slotting strangely but our connection was impregnable, unable to breach through. There was some desperation in there and the wet sounds mingled with the twenty thuds of my heart before we paused, leaving only sleep-slurred breaths, elevated by the moment. In that silence, she dropped her forehead on mine and kept our lips almost touching, brushing only softly. Her bottom lip was a madman's foxtrot, a symphony to dihydrogen oxide, and I had front row seats.

I licked my lips, trying to savour that cherry taste remains of her chapstick, and opened my eyes slightly. We were so close I could count how many eyelashes there were attached to her eyes and see how pigmented her red cheeks were from the cold. "Porcey..." I mumbled through the recesses of my sleep as if I wasn't sure if she was there. Words weren't enough to express how I feel and her spine was moving against my hand and I wanted to study that texture for the rest of my life. 

"Stay." I love her beyond this world.

She blinked. Surprise marred her face as such an utterance of a word. There was a wondering expression that stumbled across her features as if she thought she had misheard my plea, as if she thought she had imagined it.

"Stay," I said it again, stronger, firmer this time.

She softened and said a word that made it all fine, squeezing my limp hand that fell numb in her hold and making me engulf in her warm, exquisite soul. "Okay."

Then I woke up, breathing hard, like I just had football practice and ran several laps around the field. My t-shirt was slicked with cold sweat, drenched and stuck to my chest. My breathing came out in harsh pants. The darkness was encompassing me as it became the only thing I could see in my room. The sole sign of light came from the faint silver glow of the moon peeking from grey clouds in the dark sky. I put a hand on my face and rubbed it, trying to shake the dream off, tearing me out from the drowsy coils of unconsciousness.

It was all a dream. It wasn't real. It wasn't real.

it wasn't real.

-

I didn't really hate Ellis Chan in the beginning- not exactly, especially when we were in elementary school. I mean, we weren't close or super besties but we tolerated each other- mostly because our mothers were best friends, which was weird considering Marisa Chan was a few trust funds richer than my mother.