Ch. 12

Dammit! I hate this infuriating man! I see his retreating back. Gritting my teeth I start running as fast as I can and when I'm close to his back I jump. He must have heard me because he's halfway turned to me when I land on him, knocking us both to the ground.

"What are you doing?" He yells.

"This is all your fault! You stupid jerk!"

"My fault? I don't remember tackling myself!" He grunts, when one of my fists land on his chest.

"You deserve it and this." I say, pulling his hair.

"Adelaide!"

"I hate you! Why did you have to make me like you! Why did you have to ruin everything by making me marry you! We could have been good together! But, no! You just had to be your jerky arrogant self!"

He grabs my hands and rolls pinning me beneath him on the ground. I don't plan on giving up just yet. I try getting my hands free to do more serious damage and I try kicking him with the heels of my feet. I can't see because all my hair is in my eyes, but when I feel his lips on mine I try to bite him. I smirk when I feel his lips abruptly leave mine.

"Are you crazy?"

"Careful, West. I'm not done!" I reply, my anger still fresh.

"You're trying to hurt me because you like me?" He questions, slightly out of breath.

"No." I go still when he asks this. Did I tell him that? "I didn't say that."

"Yes, you did."

"No, I didn't." I refuse to acknowledge.

"You are so full of shit. I heard you!" He teases, amused.

"And you need to eat shit, because I didn't say that!" I shout, trying to buck him off.

"You like me, but you don't want to like me because I'm making you marry me?"

I turn my head to the side. Even if I can't fully see him, I'm embarrassed. I huff out a frustrated breath, trying to blow the hair off of my face.

"I'm ruining this for you aren't I? I wasn't thinking. You've never dated before, never got a proper marriage proposal, never got to plan your wedding. I'm sorry, baby." He softly stokes the hair out of my face. "We can do this any way you want. I just want to be with you. Go home and think about what you want. I'll cancel the wedding arrangements."

Letting go of my hands he stands up and helps me to my feet. I don't know what to say to him. I look up to him and he pulls me to his chest kissing the top of my head. He starts walking us back to the parking lot and opens my truck door when we're beside it.

"I'm going to make you fall in love with me." He states, seriously looking into my eyes.

I smirk, always so confident. "Oh, yeah?"

He grins and nods his head. "You're the only person I know that would attack someone because they liked them." He teases.

"Well, You're the only person I know that would make a girl marry you because you liked they way she looks."

"Touche." He winks.

I drive back to the farm after leaving the park feeling lighter. I'm glad I attacked Paxton. That's how you get things done. Tell a guy you like them and then when they least expect it, jump on them and pull their hair out. I of course got teased when I came home from Pa and Brent. So, I did the brave thing and escaped to my room. Now, I'm laying in bed wishing Paxton was here. Getting mad over him buying a new combine might be worth it.

My phone beeping brings me out of my daydreams. I pick it up and look at the screen. A text from Paxton, 'I cant stop thinking about you.'

I smile and reply: Thats not going to make me fall in love with you. Try harder.

I want to fall in you....come over? He responds.

"What a pervert." I say replying: NO WAY! Not getting caught.

My phone rings, seconds later.

"Yes, Mr. West?" I answer.

"I think you should move in with me."

Stunned silent for a couple of seconds I then say, "Well, that's what you get for thinking with the wrong head."

He chuckles. "I'm serious."

"So am I. My father is very old school."

"I want you here with me." He responds, irritated.

"I'll come stay with you a couple times a week, not every night. I don't want anyone to know about it. That means you have to pick me up after I slip out. Meet me at the end of the driveway and I better be home before sunrise. You up for it?"

"I've been up for a while now.. but yes, can we start tonight?"

"No, tomorrow. It's late and I'm tired."

"I can't get the sight of you on my desk out of my head." He replies, lustfully.

"Yeah, that was exciting. We can do that again." I agree, more to myself then to him.

"I'm seconds away from coming to get you." He warns.

I laugh. "Good night, Paxton."

"Night, baby."