Ch. 34

I'm looking at Preston and Helen as they take in the news. So, I jump when I hear the door slam shut, Helen looks started too. When she smiles at me hesitantly, I turn and and notice Bryan was the one to leave.

"I knew it." Paxton states irritated.

I look at him, questions running through my mind. "Knew what?" I ask, unsure of what to make of the situation.
Before he can say anything more, Paxton's mother storms in the room with Bryan right on her heels.

"Sorry, I tried to keep her out." Bryan apologizes.

"Tell me you didn't marry her in Vegas, Paxton! Tell me my own son would never get married in that low class place! Without his mother present!"

"I can't do that mother, we were married earlier this afternoon. We cut the trip short to come see dad." Paxton states, not really caring how hysterical his mother is being. "Oh. and Adelaide is pregnant, you're going to a grandma."

Bethanys face drained of all color was slightly gratifying to see.

"I will not be called, grandma! I'm too young!" She shouts. I start chuckling and so does Bryan.

"He or she will call you whatever you want mother." Paxton says, rolling his eyes. For the first time since I've know Paxton, or Bethany she smiled. Her face actually looked younger when she smiled. Hugging her son I see tears in her eyes.

"I'm going to be g'ma." She replies, kissing his cheeks. When her eyes land on me they're not hard or judgmental. She hesitantly walks over to me and places her hand on my still flat stomach. "Welcome to the family, Adelaide. You better take good care of my son and grandchild."

"I will, I promise." I reply, smiling.

    We leave the hospital shortly after Bethany and go home to Paxton's, or should I say our home. We are both so exhausted and relieved from today that we take off our clothes and fall into bed. Snuggling together we fall fast asleep.

*****************

    The next day I wake up with my limbs tangled with Paxton, instead of waking him up my usual way, I kiss his neck and collar bone. He stirs slightly but doesn't wake up. I kiss his lips and trail kisses to his ear sucking on his neck gently. I peek up at him and he is still sleeping. I roll my eyes and move my hand to his nipple, pinching it and then twisting hard.

"Ahhh!" He yells, sitting up rubbing his right nibble. "Dammit women! Can't you wake me up nicely?"

"I tried! You wouldn't budge! You asked for it." I retort.

    Just as he is about to disagree with me the doorbell rings. "I'll get that my lovely wife, then we are going to finish what you started." He warns, picking up his boxer's and white t-shirt, he puts the on and walks out of the room. Shortly after he left he's back, but he does not look happy.

"You're parents are here." He says, unhappily. I get out of bed and go to the closet. I put on a tank top and sweat pants. I see Paxton waiting at the door and he holds his hand out to me. Walking hand in hand down the steps I take a deep breath. I know what they are here about and so does Paxton. Standing at the door are my parents. My mother is very unhappy and Pa looks resigned, not something I'm used to.

"Good morning." I greet them civilly.

"What were you thinking! Bethany called me yesterday, I know what you did." She accuses, like I did something wrong.

I shrug. "Yes, we got married yesterday. I decided I wanted a wedding with no fuss, just the two of us."

"How could you do that to me? After all the hard work I was putting into your wedding!" she's seeths.

"I never wanted you involved." I state. I look at Pa who looks on edge.

"Just leave it be. Who cares about the wedding!" Pa yells, looking at Ma. When he turns to me he looks calm and happy. "I miss my little girl. As long as he takes care of you, I don't care about any wedding." I tear up and hug him tightly. We pull apart and Pa offers his hand to Paxton, "Welcome to the family."

"Thank you, sir. I'll take good care of her don't worry." Paxton states, shaking Pa's hand.

Looking at my parents I announce, "I'm pregnant." My mother gasps and Pa looks amused.

"I should have shot you when you came through her window." He jokes and Paxton grins.