Chapter Two

Elizabeth's bags were packed and she was waiting in the kitchen. She couldn't believe she was attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She and her friends at her old school had always dreamed of going there.

"Elizabeth, it's time," her mother called softly from the living room.

Elizabeth walked to her parents and watched as they fussed with their coats. Combatting the chilling temperatures of early November, Elizabeth put on her own coat, tying the fabric sash around her waist to keep it on.

"Once you get to Hogwarts, you can't speak of our apparations. There are different rules there and you might get into trouble," Elizabeth's father informed her.

"I understand," Elizabeth nodded in agreement.

She and her mother grabbed her father's arm and in a second, Elizabeth felt her feet leave the ground and the familiar pressure pounded at her head as they flew through the earth. Force pushed at them from all around and Elizabeth held onto her trunk as tightly as she could. Finally, she felt her feet hit the ground with a sharp thud as the three of them were faced with a bright red train. Nobody else was on the platform, meaning that Elizabeth would be taking this ride alone.

"It's ten fifty six, you should get going," her father told her.

"Will you be okay?" her mother asked, concerned for her well-being.

She nodded. "Mama, I'll be fine."

She gave Elizabeth a small hug, kissing the top of her head. Elizabeth turned to her father, "I'll miss you father." She gave him a hug as well as a kiss on the cheek.

The train's engine started working up, "I'll miss you two," she called out as the conductor helped her into the train. She saw tears in their eyes; this happened every time they would leave her somewhere for a long period of time.

Elizabeth sat down in an empty car among the lonely train and looked out the window, still waving to her parents. Her mother wiped her eyes as the train started moving. When the station was out of sight, Elizabeth stood up and thought of things to keep her entertained. At a lack of ideas, she walked in circles around the train car, growing very bored very quickly.

She began humming a song to herself that her muggle friends had sang to her once. An old woman with a cart came to her car and knocked. Elizabeth politely opened the door. "Would you like any treats dear?"

"No, I'm fine, but thank you," Elizabeth kindly rejected, wondering why she was there for only one student.

The woman left and Elizabeth stood by the door. The train was completely empty. Due to it being a Saturday in the middle of the term, there were no people in sight. It was only the one operating the train, the woman selling the treats, and Elizabeth. Being the curious young spirit she was, she decided to explore the train a little bit. She peeked her head out into the narrow hallway and nonchalantly whispered, "Hello?" With the absence of a reply, she slipped out of the car and began walking down the aisle of the train.

The train consisted of nearly hundreds of other cars like hers: two cushioned benches facing each other, silver shelves above to store luggage on, and a sliding window. Elizabeth finally neared a section with tables that was closed off by a door. She opened it and looked around. As she walked around, admiring the nicely carved wooden tables and chairs, she ran her hand over a small snake that had been etched into one of the tables. "Hm," she wondered aloud, studying the serpent.

She walked out and made her way back to the only car with a trunk and bag in it. Elizabeth had nearly let it slip her mind that she was supposed to change into her Hogwarts robes, so she did exactly that. For another hour, she looked out the window and crumpled balls of parchment up and threw them at the wall.