Chapter Twenty

Dear Elizabeth,
I hope your holiday break has had an eventful start. It's quite boring here and I don't know how many rounds of chess with Henry. However, there is a rumor circulating among the few students who are here. The rumor is that Riddle is trying to do something. It's something bad. Somehow, he got information about how to perform completely inappropriate spells. I'm glad we are both getting a break from that monster. Anyways, enough about him. How are you doing? How is Florida? I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you return.

Warm regards,
Joshua

She put the letter down and sighed. It had arrived at nearly four o' clock in the morning. The energetic owl had been hooting through the screen all night, and Elizabeth had finally awoken in a sleepy haze.

The "J" in his name had smudged as a small tear fell from her eye. She wished she could have him here instead of Tom. Elizabeth felt herself growing away from Tom everyday. Now that her grandparents were leaving her alone with him, she didn't know what she would do. Half of her wanted to kick him out that instant, yet the other half wanted him to stay.

"Maryn," Tom knocked slightly on the doorframe.

"Yes," she wiped the small tear track off of her cheek, turning around to face him.

He walked in and sat down on her bed, "Who's that from?" Tom nodded towards the piece of parchment paper.

"Joshua," Elizabeth replied in a soft voice. Tom's jaw clenched. She put in in a drawer before he could read it or see that his name was on it. "He's only making sure I received the box from Klaus."

"What's in that box?"

She shrugged, "I don't know, it's a gift. I'm not supposed to open it until Christmas." Elizabeth stood, "I was thinking we could go to the beach today."

"The beach?" Tom raised an eyebrow. "Why on earth do you think I want to go to the beach?"

His snarky remark made her feel put down, but she brushed it off, "It's fun."

"Fun?"

"If you go with me, I'll teach you three more spells tonight," Elizabeth bribed him, knowing that was the only thing to make him comply.

"Fine," he rolled his eyes.

Elizabeth grinned slightly and stood up, "Do you have any swim trunks?"

He raised his eyebrows, "Are you honestly asking me to go swimming with you?"

"Oh come on, it will be fun, we can even take my grandpa's sail boat out!" Elizabeth beamed. She didn't admit this to herself, but if she made Tom seem like a normal friend, maybe it could convince her that it were true. "The weather is absolutely beautiful, please?"

"Alright, but make it five spells."

She nodded and darted over to the closet, "One of my cousins may have left a pair for you to use." Tom watched her curiously as she sorted through the drawer. "Ah, here," she pulled out a pair of what seemed like shorts.

"I am not wearing those," Tom established. After a moment of Elizabeth's pleading gaze, he obliged, "Fine, but now you've ran yourself up to ten spells." He yanked the trunks from her hand and walked off to the other room. Elizabeth pulled out one of her own bathing suits which was two pieced. It was navy blue, the bottoms rising up a little over her belly button. It made her incredibly self conscious, all of that skin showing.

She opened the closet again and found a loose, thin dress to put on over it. Elizabeth picked up a small bag to bring with them, containing money and her wand, along with some towels. The area of Tarpon Springs which her grandparents resided in was one of the few wizarding neighborhoods in Florida. So if by chance, someone saw her with her wand, they wouldn't be too confused.