Chapter Four

Elizabeth had had an odd first few classes at Hogwarts. Tom hadn't talked to her the entire day which confused her, considering she had been her ideal interest for the previous night. She had just been dismissed from Potions with a short, large bellied man named Horace Slughorn, when he called her back.

"Elizabeth, I am aware you've just joined Hogwarts and may be in need of some friends," he started.

"You know, I've made quite a f-"

He interrupted her, "I have a small gathering every so often with whom I think are the brightest and most successful students. I hear you were one of the most intelligent at your previous school?" Elizabeth nodded, "It is called the Slug Club; we eat dinner and discuss whatever may be on our mind. I'd be delighted if you could make it."

"Oh, uh, sure, when do you all usually meet?" Elizabeth accepted his offer.

"No specific days, they're quite random actually. I will usually notify you a day beforehand. There are a few other Slytherins in the Slug Club also, you could walk down with them."

"Okay, thank you sir," Elizabeth smiled and turned, walking out of the classroom and making her way to the Great Hall for second dinner at Hogwarts.

As she always did from her first night, Elizabeth greeted the woman with the bread, which who she know knew as Dholora Freintin, a former author of various novels. "Hello Dholora," Elizabeth stopped in front of the vibrant portrait.

"Enjoying your classes?" Dholora asked her.

"Very much, yes," she smiled up at the woman.

Dholora leaned in, not making much of a difference, for she was inside a painting, "Newton Scamander, you know him, painted down by the Potions room, he says Professor Slughorn has asked you to join the Slug Club!"

"Merlin, word travels fast," Elizabeth was fascinated at how quickly Dholora had found out. She said goodbye and walked into the Great Hall. Elizabeth quickly found Matilda and sat down with her. "Where are Walburga and Melissa?"

"Who knows," Matilda rolled her eyes and picked at her chicken.

"If everyone could please settle down," Headmaster Dippet stepped to his golden podium. The entire hall went silent with the exception of a few goblets clinking down onto the wooden tables. "As you all are aware, midterms are upon us. This doesn't mean I'm allowing you to slack off, but I would advise the professors," he looked back at the table of witches and wizards behind him, "to minimize the out of class work." A few students cheered and clapped, some smiled and others weren't paying attention.

"That's amazing! Now I'll actually have time for the Hogsmeade trip next weekend!" Matilda exclaimed.

"Hogsmeade? What is that?" Elizabeth wondered.

Matilda began gushing, "It's this adorable little village with a lot of shops. My favorite is Honeydukes; they have the most amazing treats there."

"I'll definitely have to come with you," Elizabeth smiled.

"Did your parents sign your permission slip?" Matilda asked.

Elizabeth frowned, "I didn't know there was one."

"Oh man, now I'll have to go alone," a pout took form on Matilda's lips.

"Can't Walburga or Melissa accompany you?"

Matilda rolled her eyes again, "They never come."

"Why not?" Elizabeth was truly confused with the whole situation.

"Tom rarely goes," she said in an annoyed tone.

"Oh," Elizabeth realized.

"Speak of the devil," Matilda whispered as Elizabeth felt a presence behind her.