Planning Chaos

The cloud hovered then it landed and Timmy and his friends slowly dismounted. The night was cold and cutting and they hurried to the city entrance. The city of Planning, a large metropolis, sat and glowed in the night, their streets illuminated with artificial light.

"What a merry place this looks to be" said Timmy as he walked towards the gatekeeper, holding the cloud on a leash.

"I wouldn't count on it." muttered the turnip, "Planning, as its name suggests, is a city of strict rules and preparation. Everything has an approved procedure... do not follow these and you'll be punished by the Bureaucrat, ruler of the city and the writer of the rules. Him and his army called the Handymen, brainless followers of the Bureaucrat, run the city to ensure, all rules are followed and everyone lives only by the law."

"But if the people are half as clever as cats, they'd know it was best to leave. A cat has to be free to be truly alive and the same goes for humans and anything else with half a brain." said the cat.

"But the laws of the city don't allow that. People can't leave because the laws forbid it" replied the turnip.

BURY ME, said Jimmy in Timmy's mind, draped across the hovering cloud.

"Cease you bickering and state your purpose!" said the gatekeeper, for Timmy and his friends had reached the city gates.

"We wish to stay the night here in this city of Planning, whose gates you appear to be manning." replied Timmy.

"Well let me see the law" said the guard, opening a thick pocket sized leatherbound book, "One young male, one corpse, one animal, one vegetable and one unconventional areal vehicle. It will cost you... five pounds to enter our city."

Timmy grudgingly handed over the money and in return recieved a thick leather bound book of laws and plans and a piece of paper. "That piece of paper" called the guard as they began to walk into the city, "Is proof that you entered via a legitimate route of tourism. If you lose that you and your companions will be unable to leave the city of Planning."

When they were gone the guard sat down (under article 26 of the Laws of Planning) and as stated by the law began to write his report in the Bureaucrat approved shade of blue ink (article 804) . He wrote, admitted one tourist (article 1058) and assorted company, warned them of the dangers of losing their paper (article 12) , gave them a rule book (article 1) and am now writing this, now this, now this, now this (permission to neglect report on temporary basis under article 66654328: The infinity prevention law).

 As he walked down the streets Timmy noted that there were very few people out, and those who were were walking purposefully towards one task or another. "You were right" said Timmy to the turnip, "This place is no fun at all."

Then as Timmy walked he vaguely heard, carried through the silence, a faint singing voice, coming from an alley. Out of curiosity he walked towards the alley from where this song was coming. And soon saw a man, singing there,

 He sang in his raspy voice, sore from hours of sorrow, a haunting song.

 ""I am a bard, a teller of tales. I have travelled around everywhere, from Australia to Wales. But now all I can do is stand here and wail. Tell you of me and my sad tale. I came to this city of planning, out of interest... nothing besides that. But I should have listened to the saying,curiosity killed the cat.

 I had stayed here for less than one dull week, and was very ready to leave. Then on that very stormy night. I suffered a most terrible fright. I was walking down a quiet street, when I smelled an aroma sickly sweet. Then I looked up and saw a terrible monster. A hungry beast of bone and teeth.