Long Time No See

I'm on a roll! I'm just churning these out! I'm just full of ideas. Enjoy! If you can get through my incessant drawling in the first chapter, I promise it gets better!

Never once had I pictured this happening. Not once. Okay, maybe one time a long time ago, but that was years ago. I thought I had finally moved on with my life. I had a job, friends, even a new crush, though that sounds so elementary school. College had changed my life completely and I wasn't really able to remember high school much, but I do remember him

-- (This is a flashback, sort of. Ashlynn is retelling the story to a certain point, then she'll go back to the present, slowly filling in the gaps after that.)

My high school career had been spent in the shadows, not really being heard or seen. I simply existed. I did my work, got all A's, and even was a part of a few clubs. However, if people where asked who Ashlynn Powers was, they'd ask, "Who?" 

No one knew me. I had probably two friends out of the entire public high school. They were okay, but I can hardly remember their names, let along their faces now. I was a wallflower. No one asked me to dances, no one asked me to be their partner in a lab, I was simply just there. That is, until my junior year. 

Never had I expected to make a friend. 

Never had I expected it to be a guy. 

I definitely never saw him asking me to be his girlfriend. 

Jacob Martin was probably the most perfect being on earth. All exaggeration allowed. He was tall, shiny blond hair, and the most perfect blue eyes you ever saw. His muscles weren't bulging, but they were definitely defined. When I first saw him, he seemed like a poster child for a popular kid. I didn't really pay attention when he walked in the classroom. To me, he was just another jock who was going to see right through me. 

So, imagine how shocked I was when he looked right at me and smiled. 

Imagine the heart attack I had when he actually sat next to me.

Imagine my hesistation when he reached out his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Jacob."

Okay, obviously this boy was new. He was talking to me. I was the person no one saw. I was the person that no one even knew went to this school. I sat in back corners and read books like Jane Eyre all day. I just happened to be sitting in the middle of the classroom today because some other new kid decided to take my spot. I just wasn't willing to put up the fight to take it back. 

So, here I was, stuck in the middle of the classroom, with this totally hot guy introducing myself. What do I do? 

I bolt. 

I spring up from my seat, backpack and all, and tell the teacher I'm sick. She doesn't even look at me before waving me away. I run out of the classroom as fast as I can. I don't look back. 

I can hear my footsteps echo as I continue my frantic fleeing. I see no one and finally make it to my hiding spot: the dark corner under the stairs. 

I climb under and nestle myself in there. No one really knows this place exists except me. It's quiet and cool. Best of all, I'm hidden from sight. I huddle closer to the wall, still, and try to slow down my breathing. I don't even begin to think until the bell jolts me out of my stupor. I wait until I don't hear anyone roaming around and then make my way to my next period. 

--

I don't see Jacob for days. That might be for the fact that I skip the class he has with me everyday. I just sit under the stairwell and read Wuthering Heights over and over again. I feel like a broken record. Or the directions on the back of a shampoo bottle. Lather, rinse, repeat.