Chapter 3- From the Heart

I cried for a while. It wasn't like full out sobbing, but it was close. I hiccuped several times in attempts to calm myself down. I knew I had to because my roommate would be coming back soon. I needed to calm down. I finally did and I stood up just as I heard Naomi's voice drifting down the hallways. Before I even registered what happened, I ran into the bathroom and started the shower. 

I am a mess. I know I am. As I step into the shower, I can feel this is all true. I had been hiding my feelings so long that I forgot they were there. When he showed up, it all came crashing down. I can't let him know I'm here. I can't let him know it's me. 

I step out of the shower and look in the mirror. My face looks a little red, but not worse for wear. My makeup has smeared, though. I wash it off and go to find some clothes. I step into my room and Naomi is on her bed with her laptop. She's typing away at the screen like there is no tomorrow. I know she's chatting with her on-off boyfriend, meaning they are currently on. I find my clothes and go change in a corner where Naomi can't see me. Not that it matters since she's glued to her screen. 

I jump onto my bed with little enthusiasm. I plug in my phone and prepare for bed when Naomi asks, "What's wrong with you?"

I stare at her in shock. She's not even looking at me. "What do you mean?"

"You never take a shower at night. Not in all the time I've known you." She looks at me now. 

"I did that one time we had that party-"

"That doesn't count. I was drunk and I threw up on you. I wouldn't expect you to wait until morning."

I wrinkle my nose just remembering the awful smell. "There is nothing wrong with me. I just...got something spilled on me at work today and I could still smell it on me."

Naomi can see right through the lie. I know she can, but she doesn't comment. Instead, she accepts the lie. I can tell it bugs her why I'm not telling her. Well, she can't keep her mouth shut. The first and last time I trusted her with a secret it ended up all over campus. Not happening again. 

Since she doesn't reply, I roll over so I'm facing the wall. I can hear the clicks of her keyboard as she continues the conversation with her boyfriend. Even though my mind is racing at the thought of today, I can feel my consciousness start to slip away. Slowly, I fall into a restless sleep. 

--

I wake the next morning to a blaring alarm. I groan and roll over to shut it off. Except it's not where it should be and I end up toppling off the bed. I lie there for a minute in complete shock as I scan the room for my cursed alarm clock. I notice Naomi is already up and looking at me. She has an evil grin on her face and I know she's done something. 

"What have you done with my alarm clock?"

Naomi chuckles. "You never get up on time for Mr. Tyler's class. So, I took the liberty to by you a new alarm clock."

I squint at her. "What kind of alarm clock are we looking at?" Though I already know what she's about to say. 

"It's one of those hide-and-seek ones. You have to find it to shut it off."

I growl under my breath as I check both the beds. It's not under either, though the sound isn't coming from under the bed. It's coming from...behind the dresser?

Sure enough, I see the little rolling alarm clock wedged between the wall and the dresser. It has a light flashing and it's still blaring. I quickly grab it and push the OFF button. I hate alarm clocks. Despise them with all my heart. I throw the clock at Naomi, who screeches and ducks. I misses her by a mile and lands at her feet instead, right where I aimed. This girl...I swear.