Chapter 2- What Just Happened?

Enjoy! Pic of Ashlynn on the side -->

As soon as Jacob left, I ran back into the storage room and collapsed on the nearest thing to sit on. Hally looked over at me weirdly and came to sit by me. I breathe heavily through my mouth and I don't even realize that I've started crying. I hold my hand against my beating heart and let everything fall out of me, everything that I've been holding on for so long.

"Ash?" Hally asks tentatively. "Ash, what happened?"

I breathe in unsteadily and look at her through my contacted lenses. I sob for a few minutes before answering.

"He's here, Hally. He's here."

Hally knew about Jacob and I. I told her everything after about a month of knowing her. She may have this sort of skippy and happy demeanor, but deep down, Hally is a great listener and a vault when it came to secrets. When I say Jacob's here, she knows instantly what I mean.

"Ashlynn, are you sure? It couldn't have been a mistake or anything?"

I nod my head. "Hally, I'm sure. It was him. He was there, staring at me. He introduced himself and-"

"Wait, he introduced himself?"

I pause in my frantic monologue. I look over at Hally and say, "Yeah, he held his hand out and introduced himself."

"Ash, he didn't know it was you."

"What?"

"The wig and the contacts! Ashlynn, Jacob didn't know it was you!"

My brain finally connects with what she's saying. I didn't realize it until now. I had completely forgotten that I had the "disguise" on. I had been so freaked out about seeing him that I forgot he didn't know it was me! I told him my name was Sierra! Holy cow!

"Hally, he doesn't know it's me! My name tag was covered up by the cloak and I said my name was Sierra! He thinks I'm just another girl!"

I suddenly get excited. I can go on. I can pretend that I never saw Jacob. He thinks that I'm another girl. Crap, he knows where I work. How is that going to work out?

"What am I going to do, Hally?" I ask. "He just moved here. I think he might like this other me. What am I supposed to do?"

Hally and I sit in silence for a long time. I take off the witch's hat and lay it in my lap. I stare at it. Hally finally speaks.

"We can't let him know that you're here, Ash." Hally whispers.

"I know," I say back.

We sit for a while longer.

"You have to wear that disguise."

"What?"

"Whenever Jacob comes around, you have to wear that disguise. He can't know it's you and it would be suspicious if you just suddenly quit or were "fired" after he showed up."

I sigh. I think about her suggestion. Could I really pull that off?

"Do I have to act like a different person?"

"Not necessarily," Hally says. "You just can't let him know that it's you. Keep your core personality, but act like you're in a movie or a book! Create a character. Maybe he'll be repulsed by you and go away. Use what you know about him against him."

I like her idea. I need to get rid of Jacob, no matter what. I know him well enough, I hope, to make sure that he never comes around here again. Now, I just have to figure out how to think clearly around him...