Chapter 4- Panic Attack

The next day is my class free day. I don't have work until three, but that doesn't mean I'm not busy. I have many projects to finish, papers to write, and stuff to research. I don't even get out of my pajamas until three. Naomi looks at me like I'm crazy as she styles her hair to perfection. She scoffs at me when she leaves too, but I ignore her. I can't look great every morning. I don't have the energy. Who does?

By the time I need to get ready for work, I am almost finished with my last paper. I didn't finish everything, but I can work on it later. I quickly throw on some clothes, brush my teeth and hair, and jet out the door. I walk to the convenience store with the utmost care. The campus may be relatively safe, but Jacob could be anywhere around here. My eyes are peeled for anything. I make it safely to the store and slip in the back. 

"Ash! There you are! We are swamped with orders today," Hally yells from the front. "I need you to do inventory."

Ugh. "Okay," I yell back. 

I spend the next hour putting all the new items in the computer. It's not a fun job and it's one of the worst, in fact. It's time consuming and annoying. When I finally finish, I help Hally stock all the new items. 

"Has he been here today?" I ask. 

"No," Hally replies. "Speaking of which, you need to get your disguise on. You never know when he'll show up."

"Do I really? I mean, he may not even show up. What's the point?"

"Yes, you do," Hally quips. "I am not having my best friend get traumatized because she was accidentally seen by her ex."

"Well when you put it that way..."

"Yes. Now, go put on the wig. It's on that shelf over there." Hally points to a nearby shelf. 

I grumble under my breath while I put on the wig and the contacts, which are lying nearby. I notice that Hally has taken care of both items. Argh. Why can't I just burn them? I don't want this to be my life. Running and hiding. I hate running and hiding. I look back over at Hally, who simply waves me on to put in the final contact. I huff and put it in. 

As if fate has it out for me, the bell rings just as I finish. Before I even look, I know who it is. The atmosphere just...changes. I suck in a quick breath and Hally picks up on it. 

"He's here isn't he?" Hally whispers. 

I nod. 

"Well, go out there and face him like a woman."

"A woman in a disguise?"

"Yes."

"Hello?" I hear Jacob call from the front. 

"Coming!" I reply. 

I walk out from the storage room to Jacob's smiling face. He looks pleased to see me. I am not so pleased to see him. I smile at him, though, as it is what I am required to do. 

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, you can go on a date with me."

Still straightforward...as always. "Sorry, I'm currently..."

Jacob's face falls. "You're dating someone?"

"Yes," I lie. 

"Well, I'm sorry for asking. Whoever he is is a very lucky guy."

"Thank you."

Jacob picks up a pack of gum and puts it on the counter. "Just this, thanks."

I ring him up and I finally think I'll be rid of him. However, I am wrong. Jacob begins walking away and then stops. He turns around and the look on his face is like a hurt puppy. It's hard for me not to run over and hug him like I used to. My heart pangs with a familiar pain as I realize Jacob will never know he's talking to me. Ashlynn. His best friend...or was.