"Now that the old fool is gone; let's get down to business." [01]

EBONY MICHAELS POV:

I remember the day Shaun proposed to me. I remember it so vividly; I remember where we were, the people around us, the table number we were sat on, what we both ordered; I remembered every last detail.

Well, not every last detail.

I failed to remember what my exact feelings were when he dropped to one knee. I couldn’t remember if excitement coursed through my veins, or if fear and terror overwhelmed me. But he loved me, I knew that for sure. He told me every day. I was his princess and he was my prince.

We were destined to be together. Of course he has his flaws; who doesn’t? But his violence towards me is something I can overlook. He’s just had bad experiences in the past that’s all; but if he hadn’t he might not be who he was today.

I wouldn’t consider what he does to me abusive; far from. He’s just confused and lost, and one day I’ll drag him out of that place he seems to be stuck in; and our future will look brighter. He said we were going to be together forever; and that was my wish too.

Until I met Daniel Jefferson; my new boss. A mysterious character; one who didn’t seem to open up very much. He was dashing in my books; a force not to be reckoned with. But I was so blinded with happiness from my relationship; he took notice. I couldn’t seem to hide away. I had caught his attention; and once you’ve done this; his cruel demeanour will forever be bestowed upon you.

You cannot escape Daniel Jefferson’s clutches.

My name is Ebony Clara Michaels; and this is my story of twisted, fateful events.

-

I examined my appearance in the mirror; and smiled gently. The small bruise under my eye was well hidden by my make-up. You could say that my expertise was covering bruises and cuts. Shaun had come in to our home very upset. His boss apparently made him look like a fool. He was angry as well of course; and he took it out on me.

Not that I mind, I’d rather he take it out on me than some other poor, innocent soul. I could deal with his angry rants and violent attitude. I sighed, and made sure my hair was presentable. Once it was; I stepped into my car and drove to work.

I frowned when I looked at the notice board. There was a meeting in the board room. I hastily made my way towards it; and stepped in. All eyes were on me, and my boss smiled warmly. “Miss. Michaels. I’m glad you could join us at such short notice.” He spoke, and I nodded with a grin in reply. But it was then I noticed the man sat directly next to him. He was hidden when I walked through the door.

I took in his appearance. Sharp grey eyes, which look cold and hard, and could pierce your skin with one glance; but when reflect in the sun they had a blue sort of shade to them. Pale, but recognisable. His skin was slightly pale, but it suited him. His nose looked pointy; but it matched his sharp eyes and sharp lips, which were pressed tightly into one another as he pursed his lips. His chocolate brown hair was a tiny bit wavy and flopped easily into his eyes- he looked very young.

His choice of clothing flaunted that he was rich; and I immediately labelled him as a jerk. Who wouldn’t be when they looked as attractive and were as rich as that? I took my seat beside my secretary Joan, and she smiled bubbly up at me. I was a solicitor; and she was my personal, legal secretary.

Mr. Edwards was the boss of our company; but he wasn’t the stereotypical boss who was cruel, manipulative and made you feel as small as a micro-organism in a Petri-dish. I felt eyes on me; and I slowly and discreetly looked around the room. My eyes landed on the grey-eyed man, and once he caught me looking at him; he smirked devilishly. I felt intimidated under his gaze, so I averted my eyes to my boss.

“Ladies and Gentlemen; my friends more like. Working with all of you over the years has brought me great joy; and I want to thank you all for being there for me and working so hard. But now, my time has come to say goodbye.” Murmurs of despair and sadness erupted at the thought of our boss leaving at such short notice. “My replacement will be starting today. Please give a warm welcome to Mr. Daniel Jefferson!” He exclaimed, and unenthusiastic claps were his reply from us. That’s when the man beside him stood up; and I groaned inwardly.

Joan ogled at him- in fact many of the women here were doing that. I rolled my eyes and rested my head on the palm of my hand; and my elbow rested on my leg in a bored manor. Mr. Edwards grabbed the box in front of him, and smiled sadly. He came round to us all individual to wish us goodbye. “You behave for this young man; Ebony.” He winked knowingly, and I rolled my eyes with a grin. “You’ll be greatly missed Mr. Edwards. Please keep in touch.” I told him, and he nodded with a smile before giving me a small hug; and continuing with his goodbyes. 

Once the door shut behind our once boss; all our eyes shifted towards our new boss, smirking in what seemed accomplishment. “Now that the old fool is gone; let’s get down to business.”

I hated him already.

“Rule number one; I don’t tolerate tardiness. So from now on whoever is late without a valid reason will have money docked from their wages. Two; work must be completed to a high standard- so basically quickly and efficiently; otherwise money will once again be docked from your wages. And three; if you have any problems with this- then get the hell out of this building right now, and don’t you dare come back.” He said threateningly; and we all gulped and stared up at him in pure horror.

He smirked at our reaction. “Good; now off to work.” Everybody scrambled out of there as quickly as possible; intimidated by his cruel attitude. But to be completely honest, I wasn’t that phased about it. Years of being with Shaun have made me a lot stronger; so this man’s foul personality didn’t honestly have an effect on me. He watched me casually pick up my stuff, with a small content smile on my face. “You, why are you dawdling?” He asked narrowing his eyes icily down at me.

“I prefer Ebony if I’m honest.” I replied cheekily; and he faltered slightly; not expecting somebody to treat him like he was being treated. I batted my eyelashes innocently; making my bright blue eyes shimmer with mystery. “Hm, I heard about you from Mr. Edwards.” He muttered.

“All good things I hope.” I replied again, and he raised an eyebrow. “Confident aren’t you? Don’t worry; that’ll be easily knocked out of you. Now get to work, before I knock your wages down a notch.” I smiled pleasantly, and twirled a piece of my golden blonde hair. “Sir Yes; sir.” I saluted, but before he could say anything else; I was out of the door and heading towards my office.

I certainly knew how to introduce myself.

And possibly settle nicely into his bad books.

You’re such an idiot sometimes, Ebony Michaels.