"Don't push it; Miss. Michaels." [02]

The hours seemed to slip away quickly as I completed numerous amounts of deals and recorded many tapes for Joan to type up. And before I knew it; it was time to go home. So I logged off my computer and locked my drawers; and left my office. Only to come crashing into someone; who in turn threw boiling hot coffee down me.

I bit my lip to prevent myself from screaming profanities, and looked up filthily at the idiot who was walking a million miles an hour. Those familiar grey eyes came into my vision again, and I inwardly groaned. “Hm, I would ask if you were ok; but the look you’re giving me now is preventing me from doing so. Tell me, do you have any polite bones in your body?” He asked monotonously, and I just stared at him; not really knowing what to say.

The coffee was burning and irritating my skin, and I felt the tears pricking my eyes. If Shaun touched anywhere near the burn tonight; it would hurt too much to even think about it. I wiped the coffee away from under my eye; and Mr. Jefferson frowned. “What that under your eye?” I froze in my place; realising the bruise was now visible. “I-I uh, walked into a wall yesterday.” I rushed, and his eyebrows furrowed in response.

“I don’t believe you; but I’m going to let it slide because I can clearly see you’re not going to tell me the truth anytime soon.” I sighed in relief. “Thank God for that. Bye!” I exclaimed, before dashing past him; not looking back once when he called my name out.

I felt my hands clench around the steering wheel in terror as I saw Shaun storming towards our apartment in a rage. I gulped and watched my knuckled turn white, petrified of the state I may be in tomorrow. I didn’t want to be a bother and take a day off work; and I didn’t want anybody else to feel the wrath of Shaun; so I had to deal with it.

I felt myself shaking as I stepped out of car; knowing what was waiting for me. My legs were jelly and my eyes were already watering knowing that the amount of pain that was soon to be inflicted on me was only a few mere minutes away.

But I had to be strong; for both me and him. I mean he apologises afterwards, so these beating are justified right? He tells me he loves me, so he clearly feels guilty for what he’s done. It’s not like he’s a monster; he’s a perfectly decent man except for this one thing. I love him just the way he is.

I hid my bag in my car; knowing he’d smash my phone if it went off like before; I slowly made my way towards our home. I placed the keys in the lock, and turned. Once I heard it click, my heart began racing of the charts; I was petrified. Shaun stepped out of the kitchen, his blond hair ruffled and his eyes narrowed hatefully towards me. I winced as the coldness of his posture; he was trying to make himself look superior to me. He was doing a mighty fine job.

He stormed towards me quickly, and before I could whine or scream, he’d grabbed my hair and pinned me up against the door; hissing vile words at me. I felt my bottom lip wobble in pain; but I couldn’t cry- or he would hurt me more. So I bit my lip and dealt with this. It would go away soon, right?

After about an hour of being knocked about, he finally relented and guilt swarmed his beautiful blue eyes... They weren’t as beautiful as Mr. Jefferson’s; wait what? Scratch that thought; that never existed! Anyway, he apologised profusely for his wrong ways, before he led me into our bedroom; and made love to me.

It may have been a little too rough for my liking, but if he was happy; I was happy too.

I woke up the next morning to examine the damage, and visibly flinched as I looked at my body. Blue and purple bruises covered my torso and thighs; but none whatsoever today on skin which would be shown when wearing my outfit. At least he appreciated privacy.

Once I was ready; I practically ran down to my car to check my phone. Golly, I was in trouble. My elder sister Kate had rung me seven times, and had left me four voicemails. My dad had emailed me; and my second to youngest sister Chloe had texted me about five times... I didn’t really keep in contact with my other sister Marissa; we didn’t get along too well. Believe me I tried bonding with her, but she just naturally didn’t like me. It was upsetting, but if she didn’t want anything to do with me, I was going to force her to be around me.

I quickly emailed my dad back saying that meeting for lunch on Friday would be fine, I text my little sister back and told her I was alive, before finally ringing my older sister- preparing myself for the bollocking of a life time. I heard the phone connecting to hers; and I stayed silent.

“EBONY CLARA MICHAELS; SINCE WHEN DO YOU NOT ANSWER MY PHONE CALLS?!” She seethed, and I rubbed my ear in pain. “Since I left my phone in the car- sorry!” I squeaked in reply, and she giggled at my reaction. “I have big news you oaf! That’s why I was calling you!” She said. Kate was 27- meaning she was 2 years older than I. She was obviously the eldest of four; her being 27, me being 25, Chloe being 21 and Marissa only 17; 18 in a few days.

Chloe and Kat picked on her for not being able to legally drink yet. I’d laugh along too but she would always gave me filthy looks; so laughing along was rare.

“What big news?” I perked up instantly; grinning. “I’M PREGNANT!”

We screamed simultaneously in pure delight! I was having a little niece of nephew!

“OH MY GOD; OH MY GOD; OH MY GOD! CONGRATULATIONS!” I screamed, and she laughed happily down the phone. “Well, at least I got a better reaction from you. I got a ‘cool’ from Chloe and a ‘whatever’ from Marissa.” I rolled my eyes and grinned at my sister’s attitudes. “They sound very enthusiastic indeed.” I spoke sarcastically, and she scoffed.

“Anyway, I have to go. Got my first scan today!” She exclaimed. “Good luck! I love you!”

“Love you too!”

And with that, she hung up. Needless to say I drove to work that morning in a completely good mood; that was until I walked into my office and the devil himself was standing there; intimidating poor Joan with his scowl. “Mr. Jefferson! What a lovely surprise.” My words were just dripping with sarcasm, and if possible; his scowl deepened.

“I’m only here to say we’re making cut backs.” I froze in my tracks. He was firing me?! He took a good look at my facial expressions, and smirked. “I’m not firing you. I’m just warning you that your work load might be heavier now. Being our best solicitor.” He muttered the last part disgustingly.

“Repeat that?” I asked with a grin on my face. “Don’t push it; Miss. Michaels.” He grumbled; before walking past me and slamming the door behind him.

“Well he’s charming.” Joan broke the silent with her sarcastic comment; and I couldn’t help but laugh. “Such a nice backside though...” She said more to herself than me, and I shook my head at her. The girl was just a bundle of lust.