"You move me Ebony." [08]

My jaw dropped. 

Yes? No?

The world seemed to be going in slow motion. 

Everyone was just staring expectantly, waiting for me to agree.

But none of them knew the real Shaun Sykes, they never would. They didn't know me agreeing to this was be an eternity of bruises and rough sex, they thought our marriage would be blissful.

Everyone except one.

Daniel Jefferson looked torn. He wanted to jump up and say 'No Ebony, don't do this to yourself!' whereas the other half was like 'Daniel, accept the girl will always love him.'

Not that it mattered, he had Joan now. It pained me that he was with her; and I didn't like it. I shouldn't feel pained, I honestly shouldn't give a damn about him and where his preference's lie. If he preferred brunette's, thats fine. If he preferred green eyes, fine. If he preffered a size 4 to a size 6; fine. 

God, I wish I could say I don't care.

But I do care.

I care so much more than I should.

Shaun's dimples were on full show, and his eyes were shimmering; practically glowing with happiness and hope. 

Daniel's were full of dread, I could tell. I don't know how I could tell, but I could.

The world suddenly seemed to come crashing back down, and everything was running smoothly again. I looked down at Shaun with a smile.

"Yes. I'd love to marry you!" I exclaimed, and the restaurant roared with excitement and rejoices. Shaun jumped up and pushed the ring on my finger, before grabbing me and spinning me around.

I felt conflicted.

Daniel looked mortifed.

Joan looked confused.

Shaun looked over the moon.

The fake smile I'd grown so use to was slung across my face, as Shaun brought me in for a quick peck on the lips.

The sudden scraping of a chair caught my attention, and in my peripherial vision I watched Daniel storm out of the restaurant, Joan looking confused and a little saddened. I felt pity for her. Her date had just ran because he seemed upset over my sudden engagement? 

That would spring a lot of confusion in a girls mind.

Did that mean he still liked me?

Oh Goodness Eb, stop acting like a little school girl. He's just lusting after you- you're the prey and he's the predator!

I shivered at the thought.

"Are you cold or something?" Shaun suddenly asked, with a small frown on his face.

"No no no! I'm just excited and overwhelmed, sorry if I burst into tears in a minute or something, I'm just so happy!" The words seemed to tumble out of my mouth, and he smiled proudly. I felt sick to my stomach- I couldn't even tell if I was lying to my own fiancee.

What sort of person was I?

The next morning, I trailed into work, and into my office. Joan's eyes were red and puffy and I frowned slightly. "What's wrong Joan?" I asked softly, and she looked up at me sadly. "You know when you really like someone, and they pretend to like you back- because they're falling for someone else they can't have?" She sniffed, wiping her eyes.

I gulped.

"Um no... Why what happened?" I asked, feigning confusion. "You know you saw me in the restaurant with Mr. Jefferson?"

I nodded.

"We've been seeing each other... But when he stormed out of the restaurant and I asked why, he said he just couldn't be in there to watch- to watch..." She stopped herself and chewed irritably on her bottom lip.

"To watch?" I coaxed her. 

Her eyes met mine. "To watch the woman he's falling for get engaged to somebody else." She whispered. My heart stopped in it's place, my mouth dropped open unattractively. "He seems to really like you Eb. And I can't do anything to stop it." She mumbled. 

A sudden anger coarsed through me.

"Excuse me." I said a little harshly, as I stormed out and towards his office.

Without knocking, I barged in, and a look of fear crossed his face before it went back to its normal emotionless self. "Can I help you Mrs. Sykes?" I grimaced at his spitefulness. 

"How dare you play with Joan's feelings like that!" I shouted, and he grimaced like me. He sighed, and ran a hand through his raven hair.

I bit my lip and stopped my inappropriate thoughts.

"I didn't play with her emotions." He replied calmly, and I scoffed. "So you're telling me you didn't date her knowing you liked me?!" I seethed, and his eyes narrowed. "I dated her thinking she'd help me GET OVER you." He shot back, and I stepped forward so I was standing directly in front of him, with just a desk between us.

"That was inconsiderate! You're a jerk! You're an ass-hole! You're a-"

"DO YOU WANT TO GET FIRED?!" He shouted, and I stopped. My fists clenched in anger, and I shaking slightly. 

He stood up and walked around his desk, so he was now standing a few inches away from me. "You move me Ebony. And I hate it. I hate the fact that I can't have you, I hate the fact that you love that oaf of a man when you could do so much better. I'm falling for you so hard and fast, and I hate it because there's nothing I can do about it!" He exclaimed, not taking his eyes off of me.

I gawped in response, my eyes wide in surprise. 

"And it's half-killing me, Ebony." He whispered, his lips dangerously close to mine. 

And before I could even comprehend it, he had closed the gap between them.