Chapter Thirteen: Footsteps

"What is the meaning of this?" Dominic said, flashing the front of the newspaper that showed a picture of the two of them.

"I didn't do this," Rachel said defensively.

"You had those pictures. How else could it have landed in the newspaper?" Dominic said sharply. He then entered her apartment, inviting himself inside.

"It was Alyssa," Rachel said before she shut the door. "I made a mistake inviting her to my place. I didn't know her true intention."

"So did you do what she claimed you did?" Dominic asked.

"No, of course not, Dominic," Rachel said, her eyes narrowing at him for saying such a thing. "Do you think I would be capable of doing such a thing— murdering someone?"

"I don't know, Rachel," Dominic said coldly. "The way you've acted toward me and my sister, I'm not so sure what you're capable of." Rachel sighed, somewhat understanding where he was coming from. She knew she needed to confess the truth to him.

"Dominic, I did what I did and said what I said to protect you," Rachel said. "I broke up with you to keep you safe."

"See what I mean? You're not making any sense," Dominic replied.

"I never wanted to break up with you," Rachel said. "But I did so to protect you."

"From what, Rachel?" Dominic said, looking at her like she was a stranger or perhaps a psychopath.

"From whoever killed Caroline or Eugene, Dominic," Rachel said, almost on the verge of tears.

"I don't buy this," Dominic said, looking at her with disbelief.

"It's the truth," Rachel said, coming closer to him, but he took a step back. She respected his space. She rapidly explained everything from the first time she heard the news of Caroline's death to the riddles left with the dead bodies of Caroline and Eugene. Dominic soaked it all in, but didn't seem to show any sympathy toward her. After Rachel was done with her explanation, they both became silent.

"I'm a grown man, Rachel," Dominic said. "I'm more than capable of taking care of myself. I don't need you to make that judgment."

"I'm sorry," Rachel whispered, hoping to make things up. She saw a hint of sympathy from Dominic's brown eyes, but his entire face remained steely, without emotion.

"I don't know, Rachel." Dominic finally spoke again. "You hurt me really bad."

"I'm sorry," Rachel repeated. She came closer to him again. This time he didn't step away from her. She placed both her hands on his cheeks, coaxing him to forgive her, to take her back to be his girlfriend. She stared into his thoughtful eyes.

"I don't know. I need more time," Dominic said and looked away from her pleading eyes. He then pulled his face away from her hands, strode toward the door, and opened it.

"How much time?" Rachel asked him, saddened by his departure. Her voice halted Dominic's walk and he turned to face her.

"This Saturday, go to the park, like we usually do to jog. If I'm there, then I want to be with you. If not, then it's over," he said with a stone face that made broke her heart. He didn't wait for her reply as he spun around and kept on walking. Somehow Rachel already knew calling him again wouldn't halt his walk away from her. She watched him until the distant shadows swallowed him up.

This Saturday, Rachel thought. Can my heart take that long to know whether he will be with me or not? Rachel couldn't help but shed a feeble tear. She crawled inside, slowly closed the door, and took a seat in the parlor. She glanced at the coffee table, at the syllabus within her notebook, before she disinterestedly looked away. She covered her face with both hands and wept.