Chapter 39- Auction Date [E]

Entering the grand foyer of the Beverly Wilshire hotel, Annie walked straight to the lobby's front desk. "Hello, how may I be of assistance this evening?" A middle aged lady asked, her name tag read, Rachael.

Never giving it any thought before until that moment, Annie realized she did not know who's the reservation name was under.   "Hello, I'm here to meet someone for dinner and was not told his name, I feel embarrassed to say..." Annie replied uncomfortably.

"That's quite alright, may I have your name?"

"Angelica Taverron." Annie answered.

The lady checked her computer and her eyes widened. Rachael looked up and gulped nervously. "Yes, Miss. Taverron. I'm sorry to keep you waiting. We have reserved the Ambassador suite for your dinner, it's on the 14th flo-."

Annie frowned, it must be wrong, interrupting her. "It was supposed to be an arranged dinner along the terrace, are you sure that's what it says?"

Rachael looked down to her computer, verifying the information. "Yes, it say's right here, the reservation was made this morning..." She trailed off. 

Annie did not feel comfortable going up to a private room, a little suspicious. On the terrace would have been more tolerable and open, but a room? It was too private, anything could happen. She did not have the strength to fight off anyone if the opportunity presented itself. The lack of nourishment took a toll on her body leaving her weak and frail.

"Okay, please inform whoever made the reservation that I will not be able to attend. Better yet, if you could give me their name and phone number if you have it on hand, I would gladly do it myself." Annie concluded, deciding not to attend the dinner, she was there by force anyway waiting for any excuse not to go.

"I'm afraid I can't do that Miss, I'm sorry. I'd be happy to pass on your message." Rachael said with a tight smile.

Annie narrowed her eyes at the woman, wanting to say something rude but bit her tongue, holding back her retort. It was the only chance she had at learning the man's name and yet again she hit a wall. Instead she turned and walked away toward the entrance once again.
*****
He watched her enter. Her head was held up high. The white dress she wore flowed around her legs, knee high.  The silk material outlined the shape of her body as it clung to her thighs.  He could see the shape of her lean legs as she strutted in with matching white high heels. She was a vision to behold—an angel sent from the heavens. Her grace and beauty stood out amongst the crowd of men and women in the cluttered lobby.

Stress lines were etched along her eyes and mouth, dark circles were still visible from under the cover up she used to conceal them. She looked over worked and exhausted. The brightness once there, was now gone, left behind was an empty shell of a person.

Angelica's posture slightly stiffened as she spoke to one of the attendants at the reservations desk. She most likely learned about the location change for their dinner. He later decided to have a more private setting. Much had to be said and done and none of it required an audience.

He watched her turn and head back toward the entrance. She was leaving. It was just as he expected. Pulling out his phone he dialed Lucas, "Now." Was all he said and ended the call.

Lucas walked into the lobby swiftly stopping right in front of Annie, blocking her way. She stopped abruptly, looking up with a frown and came face to face with Lucas, the messenger.

She raised an eyebrow, narrowing her eyes at him. "What are you doing here, relaying another message from your employer, messenger boy?" She taunted bitterly. Her words were laced with an underlying anger. She knew she sounded and acted harsh, but she couldn't hold back her frustrations. It was becoming harder and harder to control herself and her actions lately.