Eight Letters. Three Words - Ch. 17

Chapter Seventeen

Losing Battles

Dylan Miller

“I won’t kiss you again Chloe. I promise,” my words from earlier echoed inside my head as we made our way into the day care center. Scott would choke of laughter if he ever knew I said that. I won’t kiss you. What was I thinking? I have to kiss her. I need to kiss her.

“Dylan?”

I snapped out of my trance and focused on Chloe who was staring at me with an amused smile on her face.

“Welcome to earth,” she laughed.

Hiding the storm of emotions that was taking place inside of me, I nodded dumbly as Ana greeted us, and began explaining what she wanted us to do today. The truth about the bet was that I really wanted her to be the one who’d kiss me first this time.

I found it amusing, the way she still kept trying to push me away even when it was obvious to anyone who was near us that she liked me. Every time she’d look at me, I’d see it in her eyes a secret she thought only she knew, when I’d been aware of it from the start.

Which meant; I had to make her want to kiss me. I had to make her crave it, desire it. Yet, I still didn’t know how.

“Ready?”

I nodded and grinned at her, enjoying the way she looked momentarily flustered yet quickly composed herself.

“Right, I’m going to set the dancing games while you bring the snacks for them,”

She left. Leaving me to walk alone towards the nearby shelves and prepare bowls of cookies, chips, and cereals all assorted in to different colors. It wasn’t until I knelt down in front of Ana’s desk that I saw it lying behind various coloring books. I took it, and flipped the pages of what seemed to be a poetry book, and suddenly, out of nowhere, I had an idea.

Chloe Foster

“How about we all play Twister then?” I asked the crowd of waiting children in front of me.

“Why is your hair green?”

I grumbled, “I was playing dress up,”

The girls from the front row raised their eyebrows at me. “You were a frog?” They guessed.

“A fairy. Now what about Twister?”

The disgusted expressions on their faces showed me how inexperienced I was in entertaining.

“Musical chairs then?”

“It’s boring…” Whispered a quite kid in the back.

Great Chloe! Simply peachy. You’re as boring as a brick, I thought.

With the little creativity I could muster I began clearing all the chairs in the room and stacked them in the closet behind me. I took out an old CD player, with various CD’s with different types of music and placed them in front of me.

“Who’s hungry?”

Dylan walked into the room, just as a crowed of gleeful children swarmed around him. He laughed halfheartedly placing a tray of sandwiches on the table, followed by several bowls of food and bottles of juice.

I watched him and smiled faintly. That guy was a charmer. Even if I didn’t like to say so myself.

“How are you doing?” He asked, as he handed me a sandwich wrapped in a napkin.