Chapter 3- Five Years Later

• Dedicated to Savon Vigil

Chapter 3

Five Years Later

"Are you ready?" Lily asked as she stood in the doorway of my room. Lily was my roommate and had been ever since we started college at Suffolk University, five years ago. When we graduated we agreed that we would continue to be roommates since we were both staying in Boston and we had become best friends, doing everything together.

"Yeah. Almost. I'll be right there." I answered back as I stared in the mirror at my reflection.

What the hell am I doing? I thought to myself. Was I ready for this? No. But was I going to go because of Lily, and only because of Lily? Absolutely.

"Are you going to be okay?" She came over to me and looked in the mirror as well.

I turned to her, "I'll be fine." I forced a smile, "But I have to admit, I'm only doing this for you."

"No, we've been over this! I want you to have fun with me! It's not like we are going clubbing, we are going to a restaurant-bar-lounge type place where you meet guys!"

I groaned, "I don't need to meet anybody..." I said under my breath

"Hon, I'm tired of you moping around the house while I go out. You need to experience life again. Have a little fun. Put on some heels, splash on some makeup, and put that smile back on your face." Then she got serious, "It's been five years, Lex."

I turned away and the memories flooded into my head.

"I know it hurts. Hey! You were in love and engaged at eighteen! But shouldn't you start experiencing love again and..."

"Lily, I'm fine." I snapped as I turned to her again, my face softened, knowing only she is just trying to look out for me and make sure that I am happy. "It's okay, don't worry about me."

"I am always worried about you Lex."

"I'm fine. Really, I am." As I said this every time, I never knew who I was trying to convince, her or myself.

"Okay, okay..." She looked back in the mirror, "So, do I look okay?" I looked at her. Her milk chocolate colored skin looked soft as her curly black hair was wild, yet tame and beautiful at the same time. She had a pair of skinny jeans and a white, sleeve-less silk blouse with silver earring's completing the outfit.

"Perfect! What about me?" I asked looking in the mirror. I had paler skin with rosy cheeks, brown hair that went down to my chest, hazel eyes, long legs and a lean body. I also had on a dark pair of skinny jeans, black flats, with a grey, ruffly silk blouse. I had on silver bracelets, long necklaces, and dangeling silver earings.

"Flawless." She replied, "Let's go." She walked out and headed for the hallway. I looked down at my hand to the sparkling, diamond ring which rested perfectly on my finger. I sighed, and decided again, like everyday, to keep it on. I looked on the wall at the pictures I had framed of Derek and I. The last one I looked at was Derek in his uniform with the United States' flag in back of him. His eyes seemed to always follow mine, but I knew deep down that it was just me. I thought in my mind I love you as I turned around before I was convinced to stay home and grabbed my bag and headed for the door.