Chapter 9

I found the boy's tracks again, and they led me to the original park.

"Zach? Gray?" I whispered.

"Who's there?" The voices came from an old garage, where I found two boys working on an old Jeep.

"My name's Alex, I'm helping your aunt look for you two." There was a roar in the distance, and the brothers started frantically putting the new battery into the car.

"Go, go, go, go, go!" the younger one called out.

"Got it!" The older of the two started to climb into the driver's seat, but I gave him a look and he moved to the back. There wasn't a key, so I had to hot-wire the engine.

"It's coming!"

"Listen, kid, I know, just give me a sec!" The engine started, and I floored the gas pedal, driving down an old road to what I hoped was the park.

"Hey, kid," I said to the one in the passenger seat, "get the radio off my belt and turn it on, will you?"

He did as I asked. "I have a name, you know. It's Gray."

"Nice to meet you Gray. I'm assuming you're Zach," I said to the older one. He nodded. "Alright, give me the radio, Gray." I turned the volume all the way up, and heard a muffled Owen on the other side.

"Al, you haven't responded yet, what's happened?"

"Owen, I'm fine, I've got the boys in the car with me, we're headed toward the park now." I heard Claire sigh.

"We're headed back now. Just be-" Static ended his sentence.

"Must be the water," I commented, trying to reassure myself. I turned to the boys in the car. "So which one of you decided it was a good idea to stay in the gryosphere when the evacuation call was sent out?" Gray's eyes got wide, and Zach hung his head in shame.

"It was Zach," Gray confessed.

"Don't be so quick to sell out your brother, kid. He's all you got." Zach smiled at me, and I glared at him. "That doesn't mean you're off the hook, Zach."

As we were driving, we heard a loud explosion, and I swerved from the noise.

"What was that?" Zach cried out. He turned, and saw a big cloud of smoke rose from miles away.

"Did the dino-"

"Drive!" Zach shouted. I floored the gas again, and we sped along the road until a gate to the park was visible.

"Open the gate!" Gray shouted. "Open the gate!"

The men looked at each other, shrugged, then opened the gate, letting us into the park.

__

Thank you all so much for the first 50 reads! You guys are the best!