CHAPTER TWO

I heard the whine of glass cracking. The creaking sound of hairline fractures spread over the surface of the case. Long slender fingers pushed deep into my hair. The touch was almost comforting until the same finger tighten.

When my head was yanked back I could see the smashed glass. The circle of damage had been stained red. The color drew my fingers upward as I touched my forehead. I could see the red liquid life coating my fingers when I pulled them away. Blood has never made me squeamish. There was still something discomforting about seeing your own blood.

Confusion over the attack had my feet rooted to the spot. My heart picked up as I wondered who was attacking me. What was attacking me? I could feel my stomach twist in knots. More importantly those slender fingers were still buried in my hair. Their hold was still tight enough to hurt.

Before I could protest my head was forcefully thrown forward again. This time, it was the sound of glass shattering that accompanying me. The sound registered before the pain of having glass shards slice open my face.

The warm liquid rolled down my face as I was tossed to the floor like a rag doll. The level of disrespect shown was slightly annoying. I could feel the rough surface under me. Rocks and pebbles dug into my the back of my arms and legs. My fingers reached for something to help pull me back to my feet, but there was nothing but dirt to be grasp.

I could smell the stink of sulfur around me. An unbearable heat had my clothes sticking to my body. I was trying to remember why I even came here in the first place. It all seemed like a stupid idea now that I was surely about to meet my maker. Or maybe I was already halfway to the place my afterlife would be spent. If I died I was going to be so pissed.

The world around me was hazy. Everything was seen through a curtain of red. Rolling over to my knees I focused on the stones digging into my hand and knees. It took my mind off the blood that was dripping from my nose making a small puddle in front of me.

I could hear the crunch of boots over the dirt floor. When the steps stopped the breath knocked out of me. It felt like a sack of bricks slammed into my chest. My body was lifted off the ground. Begin airborne wasn't as fun as previously suspected. Of course, the crash into a wall and the crumble to the ground below was a lot worse.

Coughing I held one finger up as if asking for one moment. "Cheap shot," my voice was weak as I used the wall to try and push myself back to my feet. Looking around I could see a taller man coming towards me. His face was blurred by blood. The color blue stood out over the rest.

Two pools of true blue right where his eyes were. I've never seen anyone eyes as blue as his. They seemed to glow with some strange power. Looking into those eyes I wondered if they were in comparison to the sky or the ocean.

The sky was endless, it could be happy or sad. It covered the whole of this world going on forever and ever. Always changing and yet reminding the same at the same time. The sky looked down on those below it and laughed. Because it was the sky and no one could hurt it, no one could reach out and touch the sky. Maybe that was what his eyes held.

I was leaning more towards the ocean, though. The ocean was deep, farther you went into it's depths the darker the water became. Until you were so far under there was nothing but total blackness around you. The ocean lured you to in. It wanted you to walk out into it, it wanted you to get wet within its waters. Then it folded around your head and choked the life out of you. Yes, this man was the ocean. Beautiful and dangerous.

"You would be the one hurting if not for that sneak attack," I spoke when he stopped in front of me. I could feel his fingers wrap around my throat as he lifted me off of my feet. The amount of pressure he used had the world around me starting to dim. My fingers were at his wrist, but I couldn't pry his fingers.