CHAPTER FOUR

I was nervous, no, I was frighten. It was the day every boy and girl went through on their eighth birthday. The day that foretold whether or not you would succeed in life or be everyone's whipping boy. Everything that Mr. Niwa has been teaching us in school was about to come down to this moment. I was supposed to show them all what I was made off. Prove to all the adults how powerful I was.

Faking sick was impossible when your mother had the power to heal any kind of illness or wound. You couldn't beg your father to help you skip out on the test because he was just another fascinated adult waiting to see you perform. They wanted me to stand before the Gods and prove their blessing hadn't been wasted.

I considered running away. Even as I stood behind the gates that led out onto the field I was thinking of my grand escape. Running had to be better than dealing with the reality of things. If I ran away they would just wonder why. They wouldn't know it was because I was a coward. That I was afraid to be judged. Besides, where was I supposed to go? Even if I ran how could I survive in this world?

The sound of clapping could be heard throughout the studium. The members of the council were all out there waiting. They sat in their booth above all the common folks. They judge children before we were even old enough to understand what their judgment met.

All the council wanted to do was pick out their newest pawn. Find the child with the most power. Put a bit more effort into them, make them feel special, make them feel loved then they would be like putty in the council's hand.

When they said jump the child would jump. When they said slaughter the masses it wouldn't even be question. I may have been a child myself but I wasn't blind to the way the world worked. I hear my parents talking. I knew what lied under the smiling faces of the council members.

Children walked in and out of the waiting area. Some of them had their heads held high. Proud smiles plastered on their faces. My eyes went to the ones who heads were hung. Who shoulders were slumped over. The ones who had tears swelling in their eyes and looks of utter disappointment and failure on their faces.

My stomach heaved. I opened my mouth but nothing came out. The last thing that I wanted to do was go out there. I didn't want to know what my powers were. I didn't want to know how strong they were supposed to be. Everyone expected so much from me. I didn't want to let them all down.

"Nakos Aldrich." My name was called over the loudspeaker. I could see the last girl walking back in. Everly Tabor had a huge smile on her face. She skipped into the room before pausing at me. Since we started school Everly had made herself my enemy. We were the only two children in our class to already receive the blessing.

The feud between our parents had spilled over onto us. I didn't have any ill will against her. I didn't even think about her most days. She was always trying to one up me. It was annoying. I wanted to hide in the shadows because of the blessing. She embraced hers. Everly gave me the once over. I could taste her disapproval.

"Try not to choke Aldrich." She laughed. Her friends gathering around her as they walked deeper into the room. I held my hand up giving her the finger. I didn't need her telling me not to choke when I already felt like I was going to panic. When my nerves were so bad I could feel my hand shake.

"Nakos Aldrich." My name was called again. I swallowed. Balling my fingers into a tight fist I didn't have anywhere to run. I couldn't . . . choke now that the moment was here. I wish I wasn't born here. I wish that I wasn't a part of the Order of Chaos. I wish my parents helped me. There was no helping me now. I had to accept my fate.

Have you ever felt the burn of thousands of eyes on you? It felt hotter than the burning sun of the mid summer sky. Do you know what it feels like to have your heart race so fast you can feel the blood rushing through your veins? Or maybe it beat so long it sounded like war drums in your ears. Have your legs ever burned with the need to flee and lock at the same time?