CHAPTER THREE

If Dānava was the land of decay, filth, and aggregation was Paramēśvara the land of milk and honey? Maybe those who couldn't see beneath the surface believed Paramēśvara was heaven on earth. I knew better than to believe everything I saw. I knew better than to accept things at face value and never look behind the curtain.

Most of all I knew that in Paramēśvara people weren't equals. The Gods controlled the Order of Chaos. The Order controlled the mages and half breeds that were born. Mages and half breeds controlled the powerless, and so on and so forth. Control was the key to life in Paramēśvara. Knowing one's place kept things orderly. After the war one hundred and thirty years ago the world changed. Demons, God, and humans agreed to peace. They took to their places in the world and plotted and planned their rise to the top.

I was told before the war a lot of people had magic but there were more people without. After the war that changed. It was more uncommon to be born without magic then it was to be born with it. People like me, I couldn't picture the time in the history books when no one had magic. I didn't know how they did anything without the use of powers. Hardwork and dedication I supposed. Sounds boring.

The booming of magic was called the Age of Mages. In Paramēśvara, people who showed promise with their powers were granted immortality. Babies born of powerful parents was giving this blessing as well. The longer you live the stronger the magic inside of you became. Humans by nature age and die.

The blessing of immortality only stopped the aging process. A powerful spell, or well placed blade would still kill these so called immortals. The Gods were users; not stupid . . . well most of them weren't stupid. Babies with who was given the blessing could pick the age they wanted to stop aging at. Once picked you would never grow a day older. You could stay young, powerful, beautiful forever. Or at least until someone killed you.

Nineteen was the age I had picked. I had wanted to wait until I was of the legal drinking age but things happens. I ran from this place on my nineteenth birthday so I thought it was fitting to use their so called blessing that day. To forever remind the Order and my parents of the day I told them all to kiss my ass.

They had so much . . . hope for me. Both of my parents had so much power. When they fell in love with each other the Gods blessed their union. When they found out they were going to have a baby all of the Order cheered. I was giving the blessing the day I was born. It was only after I was of school age that they learned what a disappointment I was.

I was a level one Red Mage. All of the power they hoped I had was nowhere to be found. How disappointing for them all. When I left only my father asked me to return. When I ran none of them came looking for me. They all figured I would just go out and get myself killed. Promise solved.

Unfortunately for them dying was the last thing I had on my mind. Everyone have magic inside of them. Even level one mages can become level three. You only had to learn how to unlock that magic. I unlocked more magic inside of me then my parents combined. Eighty-one years ago I left the Order weak and alone. Now, after they learned of my powers they begged me to come back every chance they got.

It was still late. After Ophelia and I came to Paramēśvara she went off to bed and I was stuck in a conference room. It was the same routine they put me through every time I came back to this hellhole. Making me wait until they decided I sweated long enough in the box. It had been about a hour and a half of nothing but waiting.

Since I was alone I pulled the book out of my bag. It laid on the table my fingers running over the cover. If I was guessing I would say it was made of elephant hide. The symbols on the cover was the same found in ancient heavenly and demonic text. I taught myself both when I was just a boy. It was amazing the spells you could learn if you could understand the ancient writings.