26

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Still not happy . . .

"HI, Hel," I said, sitting across from him. I didn't know why, but I actually listened to Dest. I really hated how convincing he was.

Our eyes met, but he broke it off. Great. "You're obviously avoiding me."

"Am I?" he asked nonchalantly.

"Seriously, Helix. It's been eight months. You should've moved on by now."

His sudden laugh surprised me. "Look, Park. Deep wounds don't heal that fast. Sometimes they even leave a scar," he said, putting his plate on the tray. Tumayo siya at akmang aalis na, pero muli niya akong tiningnan.

"I'm cancer-free, by the way. Just letting you know so you don't have to feel bad for me anymore."

Pagkaalis niya ay naiwan akong tulala.

Seryoso ba siya? I thought it takes five years before a cancer patient can be declared as cancer-free?

***

I nodded to the juniors who greeted me as I passed by them in the corridor.

It was already four in the afternoon and everyone had their own plans to do. Some were heading to their part-time jobs, some were getting ready for their sports practice, some were just going home, and that included me.

Akala ko buhay na buhay 'yong katawang lupa ko once na senior na ako. Pero ngayong senior na ako, mas lalo yata akong tinamad. Gusto ko na lang laging umuwi agad.

I am honestly happy for Helix now that he's cancer-free, according to him. And that was honestly a huge slap to my face when he informed me about it. It felt like he was telling me he survived cancer without me, so he won't have to need me anymore and that pretty sucks.

He clearly wanted me to back the hell off and that's what I should do, right? Now that Ger's not around, I can date whoever I want. I can do whatever the hell I want. This is my year. This is my senior year and I'll do whatever it takes to have much of a fun.

When I got to the other side of the school, I slowed down and looked around. I used to be happy in Kyll High, but now I just felt so empty.

Na-mi-miss ko 'yong dati.

Ger and Nico were not here to hang out with me anymore. They're probably partying right now and making the best out of their college life. Habang ako, nandito. Naiwan kay Kath na busy palagi sa phone niya dahil LDR sila ni Zeke.

"Missing the five, huh."

I groaned in frustration when Dest suddenly appeared beside me. What the hell was wrong with this guy? Ang hilig niyang manggulat! Isang gulat pa talaga, sisipain ko na siya!

"The two, actually. Just Gerald and Nico," I clarified. "And how did you know that I was thinking about them?" Cringe. It's like he can read minds.

"We've been attending the same class for so many years, little Ger. I can read your mind." See? He's a mind reader! Sino namang matutuwa kapag gano'n?!

"Whatever, Dest. Just go away and don't talk to me. I don't have the energy to talk with someone like you."

"Ouch. Can't you be a little nicer, little Ger? I'd really appreciate it if you do."

"Stop acting like you want to be friends with me because we both know that you're just here to ruin my day like you used to," prangka kong sabi sa kanya.

Ganiyan naman lagi pakay niya sa 'kin tuwing lalapitan niya ako. Inisin, sirain 'yong araw, asarin, pikunin, at paiyakin sa galit.

"And that makes you special, don't you think?" pagyayabang niya kaya napaawang ang labi ko.

Really? 'Yon talaga ang pagkakaintindi niya sa lahat ng mga nangyayari?!

***

"Behave, and be nice," my dad said in a warning tone.

Sa dami ng ibibilin niya sa 'kin, iyon pa talaga.

I turned to him and nodded my head, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. I can't promise him that, but because it's my mom's birthday today, I'll try not to mess everything up.

As my dad and I climbed out of the car, my mom welcomed us with a warm smile as she gave my father a quick hug.

She turned to me and flashed me a grin. "Thanks for coming, baby," she said, giving me a soft kiss on my cheek. I just forced a smile in return.

I was still not happy about her and dad breaking up. Everyone might have moved on already, but not me.

She led the way to the dining room and there I saw Gerald, talking to our mom's husband. They're laughing together like they're having a father-son bonding for real.

I peeked through the side of my eyes and see a bit of jealousy in my dad's eyes.

When Gerald finally acknowledged our presence, my dad flashed him a genuine smile. He missed Ger so much and I knew that. But Ger just looked away and marched towards me as he gave me a warm hug.

"Glad you're here," he whispered. I'm also glad he's here. I thought he would not make it because he's studying at Vera City and that's really far away from here.

"Don't be rude to Dad," I reminded him, but he just shrugged. He's still mad at him for what happened. I can't blame him, though. My dad literally gave him up for mom and that's awful. Ger loves dad more than he loves mom and it really broke his heart when dad sent him away to live with mom.

Kahit naman ako, masasaktan kapag pinagtulakan ako ni dad doon sa taong nang-iwan sa 'min.

The dinner went well. I had fun with Gerald as he told me stories about his first month in college. He said he can't wait to have me live there with him. Hindi ko maiwasang malungkot dahil alam kong pagkatapos ng gabing 'to, I won't be able to see him again for so many months. I used to hate his presence because he's too annoying and overprotective, pero ngayon, hinihiling ko lagi ko na lang sana siyang kasama. Lagi ko na lang sana siyang nakauusap. Lagi na lang sana siyang nasa tabi ko.

~

T I A N A V I A N N E