9

"Red! Red!"

The voice was a lot like my alarm—insistent and annoying. Although, unlike my alarm, the voice was somehow soothing. I felt something poke my ribs. "Ow!" I yelped, opening my eyes and sitting up irritably. Adam stood next to my bed, looking both annoyed and amused.

"It's about time."

I groaned and ran a hand through my hair, trying to keep from passing out again. "What time is it?"

Adam glanced at the watch on his wrist. "Quarter after ten."

I groaned and plopped back down. "It's so early."

He raised his eyebrows. "Early?"

"Yeah, considering that I went to bed at 3:00 in the freaking morning."

"It would've been afternoon in your world."

"Well, let's just say I didn't get much sleep the night before."

He was quiet for a moment, and I started to doze off again. Suddenly, a bright light filled the room. I shrieked and flipped off the bed, squinting against the harsh light and scooting into the shadows as it burnt my skin.

Adam had thrown open the curtains on the large window across from my bed. "Get ready, Sunshine." He threw clothes and shoes at me and left the room.

I grumbled under my breath and stood, keeping away from the light until I got to the window. As fast as I could, I reached out and yanked the curtains closed, then watched in fascination as my burnt skin healed.

Adam had given me a pair of short blue and black workout shorts and a skin-tight black tank top, a pair of socks and tennis shoes. I guessed the clothes were Elizabeth's.

I ran a brush through my curls and pulled them into a high ponytail the best I could without a mirror, then brushed my teeth with a toothbrush that was provided for me in the bathroom. Knowing how messed up my makeup would be, I just washed it off.

There was a sharp knock. "Are you ready?" Adam called. I opened the door and asked, "Why am I wearing workout clothes?"

"Training," he said simply.

I followed Adam down a series of long corridors and staircases that got so confusing that I didn't even try to keep up. I wondered why the place was so big, but decided against asking.

We finally arrived in a large room that was completely empty other than a radio and some punching bags. The floor was carpet, and a few rectangular mats hung on the tall walls. "Woah," I breathed. Reuben, Elizabeth, and James were standing in the center of room.

Elizabeth was wearing clothes similar to mine, with her hair tugged into a loose rope down her back, and again I wondered what Adam had meant by 'training.'

"Good morning, Scarlett," said Reuben pleasantly. I nodded by way of greeting.

"What exactly are we doing here?" I asked. Reuben's eyes flicked to Adam for a brief second.

"We're going to teach you to use your abilities," he explained. "Well, they are. Unfortunately, I'm quite busy, so they'll have to help you for now. Good luck," he added, and left the room.