15

"Woah, hey, calm down," Adam said. I hadn't realized it, but I was hyperventilating, fighting tears. "What happened?"

"I don't know!" I yelled in frustration, trying to focus on slowing my breathing. "When I got home he wasn't there and then there was this note on the refrigerator and—"

"What did the note say?"

"It said 'I warned you', and it was signed by Cain." I hiccuped, something I did when I got upset, and felt tears burn my eyes.

"Ok," Adam said, thinking. "Ok, it's okay, calm down."

"It is not okay!" I shouted. Closing my eyes, I worked on softening my voice. "He's my dad, Adam."

"I know," he said. "We'll figure this out." He thought for a moment. "Let's get Reuben, maybe he can help."

•  •  •  •  •

Reuben was in a large room that was up a couple flights of stairs. The room was dome shaped, with the roof made of thick glass, exposing the sparkling stars above. Bookshelves lined the walls, filled with books of all kinds. The shelves were expensive-looking wood, carved with intricate spiraling patterns that added a more complex beauty to the breath-taking scene. Even under the circumstances, I froze, wonderstruck. In the center of the room was an oval table made out of the same wood as the shelves with open books and loose papers sprawled across it, and on the edge of that table sat Reuben.

I was a mess when I walked into the room. Dried blood caked my face, the remains of tears I hadn't known I'd cried. Reuben glanced up when we entered, and he rose quickly and ran over to us when he saw the expressions on our faces, and the streaks of blood on mine. "What's wrong?"

"He-he-h-h—" I hiccuped again, unable to even get the words out. Adam spoke up. "Cain took her father."

I fought the tears that threatened again. "Is there,"—hiccup—"a b-bathroom?"

Reuben pointed across the room, to a small door on the other side. "There's rags in there, feel free to use them." I nodded. "Th-thank you."

I sprinted across the white marble floor and to the room and sunk down against the door, sitting in silence for a moment before standing on shaky legs and grabbing a white rag from a rack on the wall. I dipped it in cold water and, even though I couldn't see myself in the mirror (of course), I did my best to wipe off the dried blood. The rag was stained red when I was done with it, so I tried to wash it out the best I could and set it in the sink to dry.

I grabbed the door knob and was about to leave when I heard soft voices from the other side. I froze and listened.

Adam was telling Reuben about what had happened the night before, and what had happened a while ago. "So she compelled the vampires?" Reuben asked incredulously. "Only the Elders can do that."

"I don't know, but it worked. And I certainly couldn't talk, no matter how hard I tried. But she heard what I was thinking."

"The Elders are telepathic, too. And telekinetic."

"Well, I guess now we know why the Elders see the Blood Children as a threat."

"What's telepathic?" I asked, stepping into the room. "And telekathetic?"

"Telekinetic," Adam corrected.

"Telepathic means you have the ability to read minds," Reuben explained. "Telekinetic means you're capable of moving things with your mind."

"But I can't do that."

"You don't know that. Try." He gestured to the maze of shelves and books, each twisting and turning in their own directions. Distantly, I wondered if I would get lost if I plunged into the labyrinth. I probably would, not that I minded. I had always loved books.

I focused on one closest to me, willed it to move, but nothing happened. "It's not working," I announced, thoroughly frustrated.

"It's okay. I assume you'll know what to do when the time comes."

"What did you mean I can compel other vampires?"

"Vampires are capable of compelling humans," Adam said. "The Elders can compel other vampires. And, apparently, so can you."

I sank down into one of the velvet chairs at the wooden table and pulled my knees to my chest. "How do I get my dad back?" I asked quietly. Reuben and Adam exchanged a glance, and then Reuben spoke up. "I don't think there's anything we can do."

I felt anger rise inside me. "What do you mean 'there's nothing you can do'?"

"The Elders rule the vampires. That's what we meant when we said they're afraid you will 'overthrow' them. We can't rebel, they would crush us like a bug."

"But he's my dad," I said softly. I cleared my throat and raised my voice, but, against my best efforts, it wavered. "Please, you have to help me."

Reuben's eyes softened considerably as he kneeled next to me and took my hand in his. "I'm sorry, Scarlett."

"Are you serious?"

The voice was abrupt and angry, and it took me a moment to realize it was Adam who had spoken. "She came back, asked us for help, and you want to refuse?"

"Adam, I wish there was another way—"

"No," Adam interrupted shortly. "We're helping her." Before Reuben could protest any further, he continued. "Cain took her father because she wouldn't kill herself. They want her to come after them so they can kill her. It's a trap. But we'll bite, except it won't work the way they hope."

"No one's ever rebelled. If they have, the Elders killed them before anyone had a chance to find out about it."

"I'm not saying we're going to rebel. It's a hit-and-run rescue mission, our only goal is to get Scarlett's dad and get out."

"They'll know it was us—" The raw determination in Adam's eyes, the set of his jaw, his shoulders, stopped Reuben short. He sighed, and shifted his gaze to me. "What do you think, Scarlett?"

I had been watching the exchange in stunned silence, my arms resting on my knees. "We can get my dad back?"

"Yes," Adam answered.

"Then I'm in."

"Reuben?" Adam asked.

Reuben looked between the two of us, shaking his head. "I'm not doing this, and neither are you. Just go to your room, and stay there."

"I'm sorry?"

Reuben took a threatening step closer to Adam. "I said no. I'm not letting you get us all killed. Now go."

"Fine," Adam snapped after a moments' shock. He grabbed my wrist, seizing me out of the cushioned seat, and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. We had gotten down the stairs when I stopped. "Adam."

He turned to me. "I'm plotting against the Elder's, and you think I'm going to stop just because Reuben tells me to? Don't worry, Red. There's no way I'm listening to him."

"I know," I said. "I was going to say thank you."

He let go of my wrist, his eyes widening in surprise. "Thank you? For what?"

"For helping me."

"Oh," he said. "Well...you're welcome."

"So what are we going to do now?"

"Find James and Eliza-Ellie, I mean. We need as much help as we can get."