Chapter One

Chapter One

"Oh, Lacey, no! Come on! You can't tell me you don't realize that's your brother-in-law! That's what you get for marrying twins! Oh, this show is so stupid. I'm so done with this."

Since the moment the midwife slapped me on the ass, I'd been destined for a military lifestyle, in which I spent several centuries going on campaigns with my father and brothers. I'd been all over Greece, Persia, Mesopotamia, and Asia Minor. I'd been tortured and fought battles in every place, and spent most of my life fighting for my life in a family that loathed me.

And yet, this moment... this moment right here was probably the weirdest moment of my life.

Instead of fighting a bloody battle, I found myself sitting on a strange pastel blue sofa that was made of some odd fake leather material. Instead of armor, I was wearing a long sleeved v-neck top and strange pants made of rough jean material I was having difficulties becoming accustomed to. And let's not forget the foul tasting alcoholic beverage in a brown bottle that the people of this era called beer... to call it beer would be insulting to beer.

But what made this moment weirder was my brother-in-law, and I shuddered in revulsion at having to refer to him as such.

It wasn't that the angel --and he was literally an angel-- wasn't attractive. Far from, in fact. Akin was incredibly beautiful in a surreal angelic way. His long pale blonde hair was coiled into some half-assed attempt at a bun, his sapphire blue eyes always snapping fire at something, and his skin such a pale shade of cream. He also wore the strangest clothing that was apparently considered high fashion in this time period.

No, Akin was just fucking weird for a number of reasons. One being that he constantly yelled at the strange talking box people called a television, even though Akin knew the device wouldn't respond directly to him. He was also very... feminine. I wasn't even sure what it was exactly. Maybe his clothes, his hair, his make-up, or even the way he called everyone "honey" or "sweetie" as if everyone was his friend. It was unnerving.

Or it could all be linked to the fact that I hated him and his very existence and I hated myself for hating him. I should've been a god of hate-- instead, I was a god of anger. So everything pissed me off, including Akin and the fact that he was Hannibal's husband.

Akin was kind, friendly, caring. And even though he yelled at inanimate objects --the other being the coffee making device in the morning-- he was rather intelligent and very astute. It was what made hiding my feelings so difficult. Akin had already caught onto my affections for his husband and I had expected him to react like everyone else; disgust and rage.

Instead, he'd welcomed me into his home to stay with him and Hannibal.

It just pissed me off even more.

"This is ridiculous," Akin was saying as I tuned back in when he struck the arm of the sofa, glaring at the television screen, "Who can't tell the difference between their husband and their brother-in-law? He's obviously Greg just tricking her because he killed his own brother." I had no opinion to give him, so I took a forced gulp of the wretched beer mixture, trying to find some reprieve.

I didn't understand what he was saying. He was speaking Greek just fine, but the television was not. It spoke some strange foreign language I'd never heard before, something Akin referred to as English. It sounded... posh. I didn't like it. It was too complicated. What had happened to the years where everyone spoke Greek or Egyptian? Even worse, both languages had changed over time, so even now it was difficult to understand some of their slang. Egyptian wasn't even referred to as Egyptian in the mortal realm; they called it Arabic. Why?