Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"You're doing well," Atlan commented as I lunged for him, swinging my fist at his face, then dodging one of his attacks to counterattack him from behind, but he threw his head back against my nose. I snarled in pain, stumbling back to clutch my nose as blood poured down my face. He paused, just for a split second to check the damage, giving me enough time to slam into him and pin him to the ground.

He smirked as I breathed raggedly, sitting on his chest with my hands around his throat; not quite tight enough to choke the life out of him, but enough to prove a point. Part of me wanted to kill Atlan, right here, right now, but that wasn't for me to do and something told me the Source wouldn't be particularly happy about my stealing Hannibal's destiny. I'd stolen enough from him anyway.

"I've brought treats," came Dianna's voice from somewhere behind me. I frowned, getting to my feet and helping Atlan up automatically before we went to the small tray Dianna set up with the snacks. Atlan smiled, inclining his head to Dianna, who bowed before she departed. He watched her go and I raised an eyebrow, taking a sip of wine.

"Don't you have a wife?" I asked. Atlan blinked as if he just remembered the fact and passed me a secret smile before he took a drink of his own wine, moving around me to grab a cracker off the tray.

"Which reminds me, Menoetius, I have a gift for you."

"The fact that adultery reminded you of giving me a gift unsettles me," I replied. Atlan laughed, surprising me. It wasn't one of his bitter chuckles or smirks, but an actual laugh. He shook his head and gestured for me to follow him to another door in the arena that led to the changing areas where warriors would go to change into their uniforms. It was my least favorite room in the entire palace because of the mirrored walls that showed every angle of the people standing in the middle of the room, and I had come to hate mirrors even more after my stay here.

But I said nothing as Atlan led me into the mirrored room and I kept my eyes on his back in front of me, ignoring our reflections that followed us on the walls as he went to a black box seated on a desk in the room. I watched, curious, as he opened the box and turned to face me, making my eyes widen at the jewelry in the box.

It was extremely expensive, and I didn't need any specialist to confirm that. The jewelry set was made entirely of real polished gold with glittering rubies inlaid in the metal. The necklace started out as a collar with drapes of thin gold chains dangling around it, as if it were made up of a thousand necklaces strung together, and the collar itself was encrusted with rubies. It matched the bangles and anklets that went with it.

It was something one would definitely give to their wife, not their tool.

"I'm not a jewelry person," I said aloud without really thinking, still dazzled by the jewelry. It was the truth; my assumption was that no amount of jewelry would change the way I looked. Therefore, why purchase? Not to mention, if Iapetus had ever caught me with any jewelry, he'd strangle me with it. Jewelry was a woman thing-- a married woman thing. Then again, why take advice from a god who had to drug a woman to attack her because he knew attacking her sober would throw him on his ass?

"It's not just any jewelry," Atlan said with a smile, holding it toward me so I could admire the craftswork in the light dangling over our heads, "This is the jewelry that was created by one of the first demon's, the sister to Joxeia and Xiphrus. It was made in order to ensure connection to the Source, to make conversation and premonitions clearer when coming in from the Source." I raised an eyebrow. If that was the case, he must have taken very good care of it because the jewelry looked like it had just been made, mint condition. Brand fucking new.

"Are those rubies?" I asked, cocking my head to study the necklace. Atlan smiled.

"Better, a red bloodstone, the sacred stone of the Demon of Wisdom, Geara. She used the last of her stash to create these."