Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"So? Did you do it?"

I gritted my teeth, standing in my tent with my back facing the entrance where Epimetheus and Atlas were standing eagerly. I rolled my eyes and polished off the front of my helmet before replacing it on the straw dummy nearby.

"Yes, she was feisty," I muttered, making Atlas burst out laughing. Epimetheus made a noise of delight, then smacked his fist into Atlas's chest.

"I told you she was the perfect fit!" He laughed. I resisted the urge to throw my helmet at them while they preened and cooed over the idea of my getting laid. Why it mattered to these morons was beyond me, but they had decided to take it upon themselves to make sure I got my ass out into the world.

It was the night before our second major battle against the Atlanteans, and when I'd let it slip that I had yet to lie with anyone, Atlas had been furious over the idea. His thinking was that obviously I didn't have enough time with all the blood letting to find the right woman, so he and Epimetheus had banded together to raid a nearby Atlantean port on one of the outermost islands, snatching up several women who they all tested out first before bringing to me. I had turned down almost all of them before I realized that my brothers were not going to let up on this stupid crusade, and the more I denied their choices, the more they were going to go out and find more.

Not fond of the idea, I finally pretended to accept one of the younger girls they'd managed to snatch up. She wasn't particularly friendly, but I had yet to meet an Atlantean who was. Epimetheus had cuffed her with gold slave shackles and thrust her into my tent just after midnight, then gone off with Atlas to go drinking with the leftover women they'd kidnapped.

"I won't let you touch me," the woman snarled, holding back against the tent wall, her hands thrown out in front of her in preparation to fight me. She was almost amusing, thinking she could take me on, a trained soldier, and her a bound hostage. Her long black hair was mussed around a beautifully exotic face, skin a deep rich caramel and eyes the signature ocean blue of the Atlanteans. Aside from her cuffs, all she wore was a long brown peplos that was torn along the sides, revealing full rounded hips.

To be honest, any other man in the camp would've snatched her up and raped her in a second, but I had never been fond of that practice. It always made my stomach churn whenever I saw a woman weeping as she left one of the tents, or the way they curled up into a ball afterwards. Even worse, the ones who took their lives and their souls went screaming to Hades.

"I'm not going to touch you," I told her, turning back to the desk to unroll a map. There was a short silence.

"And why not?" Now she just sounded offended. Jeez, was there no pleasing her? I shook my head, turning partway around to look at her, and she stiffened, lifting her hands back up against as if to attack me. I frowned.

"Because I'm not interested," I replied. She narrowed her eyes on me.

"Would you prefer it I had a cock?" She asked. I glared at her.

"I would prefer it that you shut up and stand there."

"Why," she demanded, lowering her hands, a sign that she no longer perceived me as a threat, at least, not one she would fight off, "Your brothers snatched me off my father's ship and brought me all this way for you to rape. Your people have destroyed our families. And now you want nothing to do with me?" I gave her a droll stare.

"Do you want me to take you?" I asked. She tensed.

"Absolutely not!"

"Then why are you bitching?"