One

I still remember the day Luke met his soulmate. I remember the look on his face when I opened my bedroom window with a frown, still a bit out of myself because it was very early in the morning. I couldn't remember exactly what time it was, but I knew it was Monday, 4th of February. It was the first day of Year 12 and although Luke and I didn't go to the same school, he lived just down the block from me. We had been friends for years, ever since I could remember, and that friendship only grew until that time. By the beginning of Year 12, Luke and I were inseparable.

"I found them, Mikey!" He said excitedly, walking into my room with a large smile. He wasn't even dressed in his school's uniform: he was still in his pyjamas and his hair was still messy from sleep.

"Found who?" I groaned, rubbing my eyes to rid them from sleep. It was still very early in the morning, Luke wasn't supposed to be up for another half an hour or so. I knew because the first few shades of orange were still starting to show in the night sky indicating the sun was about to rise.

"My soulmate." The words came from Luke's lips in a whisper, almost as if saying the word out loud made his soulmate disappear. He tiptoed over to my door that was half open, closing it gently before rushing to my bed. He took a seat, grinning from ear to ear and pulling my bedsheets to cover his lower half.

"Oh." Was all I managed to say, hiding my frown as I pretended to organise some of the stuff that lay on my dresser. I had to make sure my back was facing Luke, otherwise he'd see the hurt in my eyes and I knew my secret would be out. "How did you know?"

He let out a content sigh, and I could hear the shuffling of my sheets indicating Luke was getting cozy in my bed. I hated that, for that meant my bed would smell of Luke and my heart would be in pain for at least another sleepless night, drowning in the scent of Luke. I played with the bottle of deodorant in my hand, trying to even out my breathing so Luke couldn't hear how ragged and pained it was in the silence that had settled in my room. I wanted to say something, anything, but my mind had gone blank.

Luke found his soulmate.

"I went out for a walk because I couldn't sleep." The blond whispered, making my heart ache more. Luke always came over when he couldn't sleep, and then he'd sleep with me. Luke talked a lot in his sleep, and I'd spend my nights awake, listening to whatever he'd mumble under his breath and find it the most fascinating thing I had ever seen. I wondered why he hadn't come over that night, and maybe if he had, he wouldn't have met his soulmate.

"You come here when you can't sleep." I found myself saying, wanting to scream at myself for actually letting that slip. Glancing over my shoulder, I could see Luke's eyes staring at my back, covered by an old white t-shirt I always wore to bed because I hated waking up and looking at my chubby stomach. Turning around slowly, I could see Luke frowning.

"Why aren't you cuddling with me?" He whined, scooting to one corner of my single bed and tapping it gently. "Come cuddle and I'll tell you everything."

"I'm okay." I lied. "Not tired. If I lay down again and fall asleep I won't wake in time for school."

I took a seat on the floor, back leaning against my dresser as I wrapped my arms around my legs and pulled them to my chest. Luke was eyeing me curiously, but said nothing before gently shaking his head. His eyes were shining in a way I had never seen them do before; his smile was the brightest it had ever been and he seemed to be the happiest I have ever seen him. It broke my heart, really. But in my hardest attempt to conceal my sadness, I smiled faintly, watching his smile grow a little more.

"Go on." I nodded, silently asking him not to. I knew I couldn't say that out loud; being his best friend, I should be happy for him finding his soulmate. I was Luke's best friend, but he was a lot more than a best friend to me.