Prologue

Ellie POV

I push through the terrain as fast as my paws will carry me. Leaves and bushes shake as I whiz past their stationary form. Critters cower in fear as I run faster, moving like a speeding train.

We can't do this! He needs us! My wolf whines in my head. Her whimpers on separating from our mate block my ears from the noise of nature around us, He didn't mean what he said. He loves us! She tries to tell me.

Then he wouldn't have told us to leave, I argue back to her.

After almost three months of accepting us, he changed his mind. All it took was three words for him to no longer love me, to make my entire world shatter around me.

My wolf Raelynn continues to sob in my head as I push to go faster. We have to make it to the border while we still have a head start.

We need to go faster, I yell to her.

She whimpers more at my request and my urgency to be as far from our mate as possible, but she does as I ask.

The darkness of the forest lights up as we near the pack border. All I have to do is cross the line and never look back.

I am about to cross over when I hear her try to reason with me once more, What if he changes his mind? What if he really does want the baby?

I shake my snout in response to her, He is disgusted by the mere thought of this child. He believes we lied to him. He told us that he doesn't believe our child is his.

Just go back and talk to him.

If I go back, he will kill our child on sight. I will not let him hurt it, I reason with her.

But-

There is no but, Raelynn, I interrupt her, He swore to kill us and our child if we ever step foot back on his land. If we hadn't of left, he would have executed us on the spot.

We are his mate. He wouldn't do that to us, she tries again.

He rejected us. He used us to become Alpha, Raelynn. There is no going back.

I shut off the mind link between us as I cross the border. Fire burns my mind as I sprint into the forest.

I push through the pain, refusing to turn back as a distant howl cracks my already fractured heart into a million shattered pieces.