Chapter 8

Ellie POV

"Ellie?" I hear Axton question.

My eyes connect with his before he looks at the small creature in my arms. I gently place her on the ground behind me as I turn to face his wrath. His eyes continue to watch my movements as he moves between me and Zea.

I pull Zea closer to my body, trying to shield her from his glare.

Layla, get to the front yard now! I call out through the weak pack bond we share.

I look back at Axton's shocked expression. He just stares at our little girl as if he never knew she existed. Well, he had the chance to know her, and I'm not going to allow him to keep the promise he made years ago.

"Axton," I say again. His eyes instantly move back to mine as he stares deep into my soul. His gaze is the same one filled with love and longing I had seen when I first met him. If only I had known it was all a lie, "I am only here to take Zea."

"You're alive," he breathes out.

"Of course, I am. I am not as easy to kill as you thought I would be," I snap at him. I know my words would not affect the man in front of me, but they will injure his wolf.

He frowns at my harsh words, "Where have you been?" he questions, taking a step forward, "I tried to find you, but-"

I cut him off, "But I am very good at covering my tracks," I say coldly, trying to hide my longing emotions of seeing the man who was once my mate deep inside.

He stops moving for a second at my icy demeanor, "What do you mean? You left?" he asks as he shakes with anger. He failed to find me and kill Zea, he failed as a capable leader.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, Alpha Knight, but I will not allow you to kill her," I say strongly, pushing Zea more behind me.

It looks like he's about to argue when the front door of the packhouse slams open, drawing both our attention for a split second.

Reid comes flying off the porch, placing himself between Axton and me, "Get away from her!" he growls at his Alpha.

I watch Axton closely as his wolf starts to take over, his eyes turning into the dark pitch blackness as his anger controls his body, "Get out of my way!" Axton shouts, using his Alpha tone.

"I will not allow you to hurt her," Reid says, standing his ground against his own Alpha for me. He is the Gamma; therefore, his job is to protect me from all danger, including my own mate. He knows what Axton had promised and he knows the risk of me being here will be, "I will not allow you to hurt her."

"Do not test me right now, Reid!" Axton shakes with anger as his muscles flex. He starts to make his way to me, "Now move."

"No," Reid says.

Before I know what's happened, Reid is pinned to the ground with Axton's hand around his throat. Reid pulls on his fingers, but Axton won't budge. Axton growls in Reid's face, but Reid takes it as a distraction as his fist connects with Axton's chin.

They roll over as they both throw multiple punches into each other. I watch the blood-covered fists connect with their stomachs and faces when I hear Zea call out. I turn toward her to see her watching the violence.

"Enough!" I yell out to them.

Their fists freeze mid-swing as they look at me before turning back to glaring at each other. Anger is clear on both their faces. Reid's protectiveness over his Luna and Axton's anger over Reid's betrayal.

"Reid!" I call out causing both of them to stop their staring contest as they look to me, "Get Zea out of here."

"Ellie, I can't allow you to be alone with him," he says, throwing his disgust towards Axton which causes him to growl lowly at Reid, "Not after what he did."

"It was not a request," I order, "Now."

Throwing one last look at Axton, Reid nods his head at me, "Yes Luna," He swiftly walks towards Zea and picks her up into his arms.

"Take her to Layla," I tell him. He walks into the house as Zea stares at me over his shoulder. I give her a loving look before calling out one last order, "Reid, if something happens, take her and run."

He bows his head slightly as they disappear into the house. Now all that stands between me and Axton is about twenty feet of damp grass. I turn back towards him to see a broken expression covering his face.

Go to mate! Raelynn tries to tell me, but I block her from my mind.

"What is Reid talking about?" he questions while breathing shallowly, trying to calm his raging wolf, "Why do you believe she needs to be protected?"

"Don't pretend Axton," I tell him, "He knows about your promise. The promise you made to me; I will not allow you to keep it."

His face contorts in confusion as he looks at me.

Is he really trying to pretend like he didn't threaten to murder both Zea and me? I ask Raelynn.

I don't know. His wolf keeps calling out to me, she tells me before hiding back into my mind. I'm so focused on the pain Raelynn is projecting, I didn't even notice the question Axton had asked.

"Is she mine?" he asks, his voice husky.

"I told you the truth once before, and you didn't believe me. Why would you now?" my pain slipping through my voice as it cracks at the end.

"Ellie, I don't understand," he starts to step towards me, but I put up my hand to stop him.

"Don't you dare come any closer to me," I tell him. He halts midstride as he catches the fear I had for him in my eyes.

"Ellie, what happened?" he asks me, taking another step forward. I immediately step back, my heels hitting the first step of the porch.

"Before or after?" I ask him, my pain turning into anger towards the man I once loved, "A lot has happened in the last seven years."

"Ellie-" he takes another step toward me.

"No, do not come near me," I tell him, stopping his movements again. I pause for a second before continuing, "You made me a promise that night and now I have one for you. You come anywhere near me or my daughter, I promise your fate will be worse than death."