Chapter 22

Axton POV

I watch Zea as I fully take in what Ellie had just said to me. I think in some part of my mind, I knew. I knew Zea was special before I even knew she was mine. Maybe that's why I just didn't want to listen to Ellie when she kept saying that she isn't a healer. Zea is in even more danger than I ever want my child to be in, "Why didn't you tell me about this sooner?" I tear my eyes back to my mate.

She looks down for a moment before lifting her eyes to look into mine, "I learned a long time ago that a secret known by only one person remains a secret," she tries to explain, "The less people who knew the truth, the safer Zea would be. Only me and Michael knew."

I pick up her hand and hold it in mine, "I understand why you kept it a secret, but that doesn't mean I didn't need to know."

"In this case, you didn't," Michael speaks up, making me growl at him again for interrupting and mostly for just being here.

Why is he still here? Knox growls out and honestly, I am asking the same question.

"This doesn't concern you," I snarl low at him.

"But you see, it does," he says as he enters the room and Reid takes a stand in front of him before I can even move. Michael looks him up and down with a smirk on his smug face, "Down guard dog. I'm not the threat."

"You sure as hell look like the threat right now," Reid growls lowly.

"Reid, it's okay. Michael won't hurt me," Ellie speaks.

Michael's smirk widens at Reid as he moves past him to the foot of Ellie's bed, "Like I said, Alpha. You didn't need to know about Zea."

"And why is that?" I spit at him, annoyed that I am even listening to him.

"Simple, you are an Alpha," he states, very nonchalantly.

"What?" I ask, shocked at his statement, "What does that have to do with anything."

"As an Alpha, you are more possessive and protective. It's just your nature. You will automatically try to protect Zea in every way and that would have exposed the truth to Cortez," he explains.

"He's right, Axton," Ellie whispers as she squeezes my hand, "It's who you are to be protective and I love that about you, but that would have put Zea in danger the second Cortez found out about it. He didn't even know she existed until we came back here. If you knew she was a healer, Cortez would have found out immediately. He has spies everywhere, even here."

"Then why tell me now? What's changed?"

"Cortez discovered Zea's existence so he tested Ellie. She didn't heal herself, which means she isn't the healer he thought her to be. His sickness is warping his mind, and he's become even more irrational and angry. He will be here soon enough," Michael says.

"What are we looking at?" Walker asks him, already thinking of battle strategies.

"Cortez has maybe a hundred rogues working for him," Michael says.

"We have nearly twice as many warriors. Rogues don't stand a chance," Walker says.

"These aren't normal rogues. They have been enhanced by the handful of warlocks at Cortez's disposal. They are stronger, faster, and more ferocious than any other wolf."

"Warlocks? How did he get warlocks on his side? I thought the witches stuck with their own kind. They don't usually meddle in wolf business," Reid says, watching Michael like a hawk.

"We don't. At least most of us don't. Cortez only has maybe two warlocks that are on his side by choice, the rest of us were forced to join him."

"Can the warlocks be turned against him?" Reid asks.

"Possibly. Cortez has most of their families under his control so many won't take that risk. The ones that chose to join him, don't believe in his cause but are there for the dark magic."

"What did he do to you?" Walker asks.

"He threatened the one I love. She is the reason I do everything," Michael says and I can see that light in his eyes, the same one I've been told I have whenever I think of Ellie.

"That's why she asked about the warlocks Cortez is using," Ellie says, practically shouting it. She smiles at him, "She's your mate."

"She asked about me?" Michael perks up.

"Of course, she did," Ellie says, "She's known where you have been, and she's scared for you."

Michael gives her a remorseful look before fixing his gaze to the floor.

"Who are we talking about?" Sawyer asks as she walks up to Walker.

"Jade," Ellie says, "Jade is his mate."

"The doc?" Walker asks, "She's your mate?"

"Yes, but I did not think she would ever care for me again. Not after what I did," Michael voice barely breaks a whisper.

"But you have spoken to her," Ellie says, "She couldn't have known about Zea and Cortez if you didn't."

"I had tried to keep her informed of any information I can smuggle out of Cortez, but those were just letters. It's been so many years. After the last time we spoke face to face, I don't think we could have what we once did."

"What happened?" Ellie asks as her grip on my hand tightens again.

"I did something, something that I can't take back," he whispers.

"What did you do?" she asks.

He pauses a second as he stares between Ellie and I, "I broke you and Axton's mate bond."