7: Zeke

As the Earth nears its final turn, all things hidden in the dark will come to light.

“Wakey, Wakey! Time to get up my honey,” the alarm buzzed with the familiar words. I smiled to myself as Paisley’s voice filled my room. It was the same every morning, I kind of regret getting us those alarm clocks. At the time I thought it was a good idea…now I just think it’s annoying. I removed the red covers that tangled around me.

Morning always came to fast and today was no different. I shouldn’t be so tired, I thought. I yawned one last time and stood looking around my room. I looked at the empty space above my dresser. Paisley had made me remove the mirror a year ago. It was around that time that she started covering her own.

I made my way to the bathroom and soon emerged in a puff of steam, clean and ready for my day. I dressed quickly in khakis and a black polo shirt. I only had a thirty minutes left to eat before I would have to leave to pick up Paisley and head to school. I shook my head, she was the reason I was so tired. Always making me worry. I sighed, grabbing my bag and heading out of the room.

“Hey there sunshine,” My mother called as I entered the kitchen. She sat at the table watching the television that hung on the wall by the kitchen table. “Well someone looks like they just got ran over by a truck,” she laughed, finally looking in my direction. I knew what she was talking about. Ever since the police questioned me about those deaths, I haven’t been able to sleep.

My dreams haunted by nightmares. It’s always the same thing; they start off with me lounging on a cushion of soft green grass. Everything is wonderful, the warm sun kisses my skin as the wind tousles my curls. I’m thinking of how wonderful life is when suddenly I hear the clap of thunder. I look to the once cloudless sky and see the sky go dark as the menacing storm clouds roll in.

I sit up and search the area, all life has seemed to cease. No longer were the birds chirping, neither could the sound of the trees dancing in the wind be heard. In a single instant the world around had taken a collective breath and held it. It isn’t long before I can sense the ominous warning that comes with this type of darkness. I feel a tugging at my feet, I look down in horror to find a decaying hand wrapped around my ankle.

I let out a small yelp as the hand tightened its grip. The smell of rotting meat assaulted my nose, looking down I notice a body rising from the ground before me. Soon a head can be seen. Graying strips of flesh hangs in patches from its face. The only distinguishable feature is the lifeless gray eye that looks at me but sees nothing. More of its body is dragged from the dirt and a second hand holds down my leg. The smell of death is all around me.

Without warning my upper body is thrust back onto the ground. Slowly my head turns to the side and sees another corpse holding my arms. Its headless body frightening me even more. I struggle against my captors, silently wishing they would release me. It’s of no use. I feel a heavy weight on my chest. I close my eyes, not willing to see what’s there. The soundless world I now find myself in is filled with a pain filled screech. The cry hurts my ears. Warm liquid drips from my ears and down the sides of my face. Praying one last time, I ask for forgiveness.

My eyes open, I’m back in my room, my body covered in sweat. It takes a few second to calm my racing heart. The past two nights it has been the same dream. I close my eyes for a second and I can see the corpses, smell the horrible odor.

“Zeke! Honey are you alright,” My mother calls, snatching me from my thoughts of death that haunt me each night. Looking toward her I can see the concern.

“I’m fine,” I replied. I take a seat at the table beside my mother. All thoughts of eating now gone, along with the memory of the dream.

“I can’t believe this. What is the world coming to,” she asks to no one in particular.